DOC file not accepted - can't publish ebook with you but can with Amazon

I attempted, about a month ago, to get my book as an ebook on Lulu, but I get an error saying that no table of contents or chapters exist.  Uh, they do exist.  I published it on Amazon with same DOC file just fine.  Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Lulu is not recognizing yoru Chapter headings. Do they have a Heading 1 and Heading 2 style?

H1 must always be before H2. Click on View/Navigation in Word and see what you have there. If your heading styles are applied, you will see them.

You will also see if you have any blank spaces or other content assigned as a Heading. Remove their formatting in Word, then reupload.

Good luck.

• I don't use specifically "heading 1" or "heading 2".  I use my own styles for headers.  In my case, it's for acts and scenes as my book is formatted in the style of a play and movie script (it's a mix of both).  The acts are the major headers with bigger text and always start on an even page number (I use section breaks for this).  The scenes have text about 5/8 the size as that of the text for acts (after Fibonnaci) and have a 48-point gap between the end of the previous scene and the header for the new scene.  Then I have the appendix which has its header being the same as that of acts and each appendix uses the same style as that of the scenes.

How come it worked fine with Amazon as is?  Is it possible to take the converted ebook that Amazon produced and use it with Lulu instead?  It seems like Lulu has a bug or something if it's not recognizing it.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Kindle's mobi format is a bit different from epub but should work on the same principle.

I believe the documentation for Lulu's Epub converter lists using Heading style H1, H2, and H3, not user-defined styles so it's not a bug.

ulillillia wrote:

I don't use specifically "heading 1" or "heading 2".  I use my own styles for headers.  In my case, it's for acts and scenes as my book is formatted in the style of a play and movie script (it's a mix of both).  The acts are the major headers with bigger text and always start on an even page number (I use section breaks for this).  The scenes have text about 5/8 the size as that of the text for acts (after Fibonnaci) and have a 48-point gap between the end of the previous scene and the header for the new scene.  Then I have the appendix which has its header being the same as that of acts and each appendix uses the same style as that of the scenes.

How come it worked fine with Amazon as is?  Is it possible to take the converted ebook that Amazon produced and use it with Lulu instead?  It seems like Lulu has a bug or something if it's not recognizing it.

• You can Modify the "Heading Style" to make it match what you have now.

So, highlight the heading you have, put your cursor on Heading Style 1 in Styles, right click and choose Update Heading Style to match selection.

This is the standard.  Lulu distributes everywhere, Kindle does only Amazon.

• KDP's e-book wizard demands that you use Word's own TOC tool to create the TOC. Lulu's asks you to tag what you want in a TOC using Word's Heading Styles in the manner said in the above postings, then Lulu's Wizard creates a TOC.

• Keep in mind that eReaders only recognize a few fonts and the buyer will choose the font and font size they like best. Also, most eReaders use a default display style that overwrites the styling you apply. Readers will have to change the settings to view the Publisher's formatting to see all your hard work.

• Not that I have created one from scratch, but few people realise that an ePub is more or less an application made up of a few bits of software (hence why the bits have to match). E-reading devices use the application to allow people to read an e-book using options that they select. In otherwords, the actual text (be it originally docx or whatever) is just a file used by the ePub application and is not the actual ePub. I believe HTML is used as per websites.

I hope that made sense!