Creating my own template in OpenOffice?

I've downloaded LuLu's 6x9 templates, but after reading through the style guide, I'm thinking it will be easier to recreate my own, in OpenOffice (and once my manuscript is finished, I'll save it in Microsoft Word format). 

Does the Lulu.com site have detailed written descriptions of the default templates available (margins, size of the gutter, etc.), so I can recreate them as I go?  

Thanks!

Comments

• Since the formatting does not transfer perfectly from OO to Word, why not just prepare your own manuscript directly in Word?

Easy to do. You do not need to follow a template. Depending on the length of your book, you can adjust gutter,  margins, headers, footers. Read the distribution requirements in Knowledgebase and take it from there.

Good luck.

• I don't own Microsoft Word, and the program is a bit too expensive for my budget right now... I suppose I could create my manuscript in OO, and save it as a pdf? 

I will check out the distribution reuirement guidelines. Thank you.

• Yes, that would work. Or you could get a trial version for free.

• Trial version of Word? That could work -- use the free version just long enough to create my manuscript, and then buy the full version when I start to get royalties (knock on wood ;-))

• Yes, go for it. Smiley Happy

• I'm new here and working on my first book (just a "vanity" publication), but I am using OO to write the book. I picked up an e-book "Self-publishing using OpenOffice Writer," which has really good examples of setting up page styles, etc., for a book, including not only the chapter pages but also pages such as Title, Table of Contents, Copyright, etc. It covers page numbering, indexing, drop-cap first paragraph styling, and all that as well. The examples he has are for the Crown Quattro size, but I easily tweaked it for 6x9.

OO also has the facility to directly output a PDF file, which I just tried and it seems to do exactly as expected.