What to write about

I was searching for Christian martial art books on Amazon and found about 8 or so. Most hadn't sold anything but some had great reviews. My book seemed to have more reviews probably more sales than most of them. I'd like to write a follow up on the first one but can't think of what to write about. Any advice? The first book was explaining Kung fu to Christians who might think it's evil or don't understand what it is. I have gotten some nice compliments on it. I'm trying to stay away from political books from now on so not to draw attention or offend anyone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

If you try to avoid offending anyone then you won't write for anyone. If nothing else, write about where your dreams would lead you.

• oncewasoncewas Publisher

Girl meets boy and wants to jump his bones. Boy does not believe in sex before marriage; he is a Christian and martial artist. Girl sees him as a challenge but gets frustrated when he won't yield to her desires. She tries to break him down by saying that if he were a true Christian he would not be practicing martial arts. He explains why he thinks she is wrong. She is intrigued and starts to attend classes too and ends up falling in love with him and marrying him.

• If you want to go the non fiction route, talk about how you got your faith and how you keep it (if you didn't already cover those topics). I know next to nothing about martial arts--on that note, you could do some sort of martial arts introduction book for people who may be interested in it, but haven't been able to take any sort of martial arts class/training yet.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I was searching for Christian martial art books on Amazon and found about 8 or so. Most hadn't sold anything but some had great reviews.

Reviews on Amazon fell in to distribute when people noticed that some reviewers were apparently able to read 10 novels a day and other anomalies. To over come that small embarrassment Amazon bought Goodread, but that perhaps solved nothing.

My book seemed to have more reviews probably more sales than most of them.

That's cool. Genuine reviews can often be spotted better because they are often honest, and usually written by people who are not just names who write reviews.

I'd like to write a follow up on the first one but can't think of what to write about. Any advice?

I recall having a long chat with you about that book and what you said about it, but I have never read it.

The first book was explaining Kung fu to Christians who might think it's evil or don't understand what it is.

I hope it worked because if that's what they believed it will be very hard to shake them of it, because all but their own religion is seen as evil (competition). I still don't get it though. Martial arts are not a religion.

I have gotten some nice compliments on it. I'm trying to stay away from political books from now on so not to draw attention or offend anyone.

But attention often sells more books.  Good or bad attention.  Smiley Happy

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hrmm, martial arts in general and how they came in to being? But I suspect that the Keyword 'Christian' drove many to view your book, if not always to buy it.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Ok I've decided on what to write about. The health benefits of training martial arts. This will be mainly for those over 40 years of age which is where kung fu really begins to help out. Any advice on a title?

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

Martial Art and the Old Phart?

Cat Very Happy

Kung Fu and Remaining Healthy After 50

• Shadowmonkey wrote:

I was searching for Christian martial art books on Amazon and found about 8 or so. Most hadn't sold anything but some had great reviews. My book seemed to have more reviews probably more sales than most of them. I'd like to write a follow up on the first one but can't think of what to write about. Any advice? The first book was explaining Kung fu to Christians who might think it's evil or don't understand what it is. I have gotten some nice compliments on it. I'm trying to stay away from political books from now on so not to draw attention or offend anyone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I only have a basic understanding of how martial arts or organized, so I may completely off-base here. I did read your first book, and I do know a bit about the organizational structure from talking with friends who are into various arts (one of my friends practices Iwado-Kai-Ki style, for example). If I understand correctly, you are a fifth-dan black-belt, which would be a fairly advanced instructor-level.

As such, would it be appropriate for you to write a book of exercises or even katas for use in martial arts from a Christian perspective? For example, you might give examples of breathing exercises and their practical uses for relaxation and concentration, as a Christian might use them -- perhaps each with a themed verse. A person might say to himself, "And He is before all things," as he inhales, and then "And in Him all things consist" as he exhales (Col. 1:17). 

Or would that level of instruction manual be reserved for the Master of the Art, at the tenth dan?

A manual of that sort would require a lot of photos or diagrams, and you would need a lot of disclaimers and precautions to prevent people from doing something dangerous. It would have to be laid-out extremely well, and edited very carefully.

Just a few thoughts, off the top of my head...

• Shadowmonkey wrote:

First one is good Sphinx Smiley Happy

Yeah, but you might need to subtitle it: "How to keep young punks from making fun of your armpit-belt pants."

Or you could go with "Get Off My Lawn! - An Old Guy's Guide To Yard Care, Kung Fu Style."  Smiley Very Happy

• You can start your title with question like Can kung fu really make man healthy?