Indented First Lines

Hi THere, 1st time publisher.....All paragraphs looked good in Doc.  All setup as instructed, but when converted & published there are no indents on first lines of paragraphs?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Im not sure what happened there but I usually make a pdf file to upload , that way it publishes the way it looked. Sometime things get messed up during conversion.

• You said you setup the indent settings, but how did you apply the indents? Did you setup the first line indent in the settings (So that whenever you hit the "Enter" button on your keyboard it automatically indented) or did you just hit the indent button on Mircosoft word to manually insert indentations? 

julieforrester wrote:

Hi THere, 1st time publisher.....All paragraphs looked good in Doc.  All setup as instructed, but when converted & published there are no indents on first lines of paragraphs?

Any ideas?

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Using the Tab key to indent is problematic, you have to use the First Line Indent.

• For reliable results you need to set the indentation in the Style you are using.

In your main style (Usually Normal ) click the following in sequence (will vary according to version of Word you are using):

The downward pointing arrow under Change Styles

Manage Styles

Modify

Format

Paragraph

Indentation (and then set the size of the indentation you require)

• Without having more information, I am guessing you are creating an eBook.

If so, during conversion, all extra spaces, hard returns, tabs, etc. are removed.

As suggested by several other community members, you will need to set your normal paragraph style to include first line indent. The best thing about changing the style is that it will update the entire document at once - you don't even need to remove the tabs or extra spaces before you convert the book.

If, however, you are creating a printed book, you can ignore my advice.

• I'm having a similar indentation issue. I have the Normal font style set so that the first line is always indented at 0.5", as is standard. Looks great in the Word file, but when I convert to ePub, only the first page of each chapter is indented properly. Every page afterwards is not indented - all text is left justified with 0" indentation - until the next chapter starts and then it's formatted properly on the first page of the new chapter, but not on the second page of the new chapter. Any solutions?

• I'm having a similar indentation issue. I have the Normal font style set so that the first line is always indented at 0.5", as is standard.

But have you set the Paragraph default and is it applied to all?

Looks great in the Word file, but when I convert to ePub, only the first page of each chapter is indented properly. Every page afterwards is not indented - all text is left justified with 0" indentation - until the next chapter starts and then it's formatted properly on the first page of the new chapter, but not on the second page of the new chapter. Any solutions?

Are you using *Sections and *New Page etc., and if so are they all the same settings?

Then again using Heading Style 1 on chapter titles has the same effect as * and also creates the TOC.

• Yes to all questions.

I even tried clearing out the style formatting for an entire chapter and reapplying the Normal style to the paragraph text. No change. Still, first page of the chapter formatted correctly, all others in the chapter are left justified, no indentation.

I should also note that the file I'm using is a DOCX file, in case anyone knows of this being an issue specific to DOCX files being converted rather than DOC files. 

• I can only really refer you back to this >>   http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Paragraph-Styles/ta-p/206695

And this >>  http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/eBook-Creator-Guide/ta-p/109443

I also use docx with no problems.

Files for converting to ePub via Lulu's Wizard are very very basic. More or less a blank page with just Bodytext on (Normal). There's no New Sections or Page breaks for example. No extra spaces between Paragraphs etc.

Heading Styles act as Page Breaks when assigned to a heading, even though there are no actual pages in an ePub.

• I was able to resolve the issue late yesterday. To solve it, I had to through the ePub file Lulu created into Sigil and modify the css stylesheet to include a <p> attribute. Once I did that, no further issues, and the file cleared the automated ePub check with no problems.