Service not delivered and no response to emails. Is this normal?

I ordered the epub conversion service from Lulu a few weeks ago, got the questionnaire through, sent it back within an hour and uploaded my files as directed. I received a reply from someone thanking me for the questionnaire and saying they'll get right on it. That's the last I've heard of it.

 

I've replied to the email a week or so later to ask if everything was in order (as my book is a guide book with lots of fiddly text, so I can appreciate it may take longer to convert) - no answer. Sent a message through the general support system to ask if it's being taken care of - no answer. Last night I tried to post on here and the system was redirecting me back to the homepage when I tried to post, so I tweeted at them and emailed again. Still no answer. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else on here? I have to say it's very disappointing. I'm doing this so I can submit the book to iBooks, which is essential for a related app project I have I was hoping to have out before the end of the year. With the quoted lead time, I think I've left plenty of time and at no point was I contacted and told to expect a delay.

 

I hate to be a naggy customer, but on the other hand I paid for a service with a quoted lead time and it's not been delivered without an explanation, not even an email or a post about holiday lead times, special requirements because of the contents or anything else.

Does anyone know if there's a phone number I can call to get anyone to actually give me an answer?

 

 

Comments

  • If it has been 4-8 weeks then you should be worried, otherwise not.  They have a lot of customers, and it has been the holidays.

     

    I don't believe there is a phone number for small jobs done in office. There is a number for larger, more complex services.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Another venue if you're worried, contact a moderator

  • Thanks. Remarkably, as soon as I posted on here, I got a reply in my mail. Sadly no explanation as to why it'd taken them so long to get back to me, but apparently there are a few things I need to do before they an actually do the job. Shame I wasn't told this 3 weeks ago because I could have done it, well...3 weeks ago.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Yeah, those inexplicable delays can get tiresome.

     

    I saw a doctor back on the 7th, who put in a referral for Occupational therapy on the 7th, and I finally got a call 23 days later for an appointment on 9 January.

     

    Workers shouldn't be allowed holidays, sick days, or weekends when people are depending on them.

     

    Cat Wink

  • What a condescending, obnoxious answer. 

     

    Lulu is a major company that should be able to give its employers the required amount of holidays while still managing to run a business. It's not a mom and pop store. As a customer, it's not my problem or my business how they do it. They've advertised days when their office will be closed (which were several weeks after I sent my order in) and hey, I'm in a different time zone and I don't expect them to be open during my business hours. But please spare me the bull. Expecting a company to be managed well enough to deliver a paid service within their own advertised lead time when no other notice has been given is not unreasonable.

    Expecting a reply to a support email within 2-4 business days when Lulu's automatic email says they respond to email within 2-4 business days is not unreasonable. Having longer than normal lead times because of the holidays? Let people know so they can give their money to someone else and get what they're paying for on time. As it stands, I paid for a service that was meant to be delivered in 1-2 weeks and I'm still waiting for it now, several more weeks later. If they'd emailed me and said, "hey, there's more stuff you need to do first and we won't be able to get to your project for a few more weeks now because of the holidays" that would have been one thing. But this is beyond poor.

     

     

     

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Actually my answer was more facetious, though you are entitled to label it what you will.

     

    Now that whatever sympathy I might once have had for your plight has evaporated, good luck with your project.

     


    kashka23 wrote:

    What a condescending, obnoxious answer. 

     

    Lulu is a major company that should be able to give its employers the required amount of holidays while still managing to run a business. It's not a mom and pop store. As a customer, it's not my problem or my business how they do it. They've advertised days when their office will be closed (which were several weeks after I sent my order in) and hey, I'm in a different time zone and I don't expect them to be open during my business hours. But please spare me the bull. Expecting a company to be managed well enough to deliver a paid service within their own advertised lead time when no other notice has been given is not unreasonable.

    Expecting a reply to a support email within 2-4 business days when Lulu's automatic email says they respond to email within 2-4 business days is not unreasonable. Having longer than normal lead times because of the holidays? Let people know so they can give their money to someone else and get what they're paying for on time. As it stands, I paid for a service that was meant to be delivered in 1-2 weeks and I'm still waiting for it now, several more weeks later. If they'd emailed me and said, "hey, there's more stuff you need to do first and we won't be able to get to your project for a few more weeks now because of the holidays" that would have been one thing. But this is beyond poor.

     

     

     


     

  • I've sent messages that have never been responded to and unfortunately I have no choice but to place any future books elsewhere. I respect the fact that they have a lot of customers to deal with but if my book is delayed being published because of poor customer service then they've forced my hand. It's too bad that we are looked at as being less important because we don't have a "big" accountSmiley Sad

     

     

     

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Check the book publisher listings on Preditors & Editors to avoid the problematic venues.

     


    momoftwogirls wrote:

    I've sent messages that have never been responded to and unfortunately I have no choice but to place any future books elsewhere. I respect the fact that they have a lot of customers to deal with but if my book is delayed being published because of poor customer service then they've forced my hand. It's too bad that we are looked at as being less important because we don't have a "big" accountSmiley Sad

     

     

     


     

  • Thank you SphinxCameron


    SphinxCameron wrote:

    Check the book publisher listings on Preditors & Editors to avoid the problematic venues.

     


    momoftwogirls wrote:

    I've sent messages that have never been responded to and unfortunately I have no choice but to place any future books elsewhere. I respect the fact that they have a lot of customers to deal with but if my book is delayed being published because of poor customer service then they've forced my hand. It's too bad that we are looked at as being less important because we don't have a "big" accountSmiley Sad

     

     

     


     


     

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Preditors & Editors not only lists the scams, they tend to state when a publisher, agent, or other provider in publishing is good as well.


    momoftwogirls wrote:

    Thank you SphinxCameron


    SphinxCameron wrote:

    Check the book publisher listings on Preditors & Editors to avoid the problematic venues.

     


    momoftwogirls wrote:

    I've sent messages that have never been responded to and unfortunately I have no choice but to place any future books elsewhere. I respect the fact that they have a lot of customers to deal with but if my book is delayed being published because of poor customer service then they've forced my hand. It's too bad that we are looked at as being less important because we don't have a "big" accountSmiley Sad

  • I bought my brothers book over two weeks ago, Menace the death dealer. I received a book that had the right front and back cover but the whole inside book was something else. Sent in the pictures to prove it and have been waiting two weeks for a response. How this screw up even happened I don't know but to not get a response when you get email saying you'll a response in 3 business days is horrible. I want the book that I paid for and I'd appreciate a response.
    reflithium00D506zQ6._50050YvI13:ref
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Try starting a new thread instead of hijacking other threads.

     

    Try entering another support ticket then once you have the autoresponse reference the case number you have in your reply.

     

    Try waiting till Monday as it looks like Lulu's office is now closed for the weekend.


    Nsamedi wrote:
    I bought my brothers book over two weeks ago, Menace the death dealer. I received a book that had the right front and back cover but the whole inside book was something else. Sent in the pictures to prove it and have been waiting two weeks for a response. How this screw up even happened I don't know but to not get a response when you get email saying you'll a response in 3 business days is horrible. I want the book that I paid for and I'd appreciate a response.
    reflithium00D506zQ6._50050YvI13:ref

     

  • Do you work for lulu? Since you respond to everyone's posts. Not looking for your help unless you can send me the book I paid for, find a hobby.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    No I don't work for Lulu, but this is an end-user help forum not a contact only the employees to complain forum.

     

    Lulu is now closed for the weekend. Get a hoby.


    Nsamedi wrote:
    Do you work for lulu? Since you respond to everyone's posts. Not looking for your help unless you can send me the book I paid for, find a hobby.

     

  • Hello Kashka23

     

    eBook conversion projects are queued as they are received and are usually completed in the time allotted. However, they are not analysed by the conversion team until actual work begins on the project. As you stated, your project had some particularly challenging formatting. If you have corrected the issues that were pointed out to you, I am sure the project will be completed shortly.

     

    I have contacted the project manager for your eBook conversion. He will provide specific information about your project later today.

  • @momoftwogirls 

    I had a look at your case history. I do not see any recent cases associated with your email address, perhaps you were logged in under a different account. The cases raised in the spring appear to have been resolved and closed.

     

    If you do not receive an automated response to support requests, check your spam folder. Sometimes your email system will redirect support responses into that folder. Look for emails from "existing_ticket@lulu.com"

Sign In or Register to comment.