Second time Lulu author - new book almost complete

Hello Folks,

It has been at least a year or so since I last made a post, i have since then been working on a number of books since publishing my first, Wartime Langford Lodge, which turned out to be a real winner amongst its readers. I will soon be ready to publish my second book, focussed on the Americans in Northern Ireland during the second world war, titled "Hut 203". it is the wartime diary and photograph album of an American aircraft mechanic based at an airbase called Langford Lodge. It documents the highs and lows of wartime life during those years. Below is an attachment of how the front cover will look, and a synopsis of the book, thanks for looking, let me know your thoughts about the cover please, I spent a bit of time in photoshop colouring some of the black and white images, I think it makes a nice touch.

many thanks

Will

203.jpg

HUT 203, The wartime journal of an American aircraft mechanic in Northern Ireland during the second world war, 1942 - 1944.

Due for release in the Winter of 2015, is HUT 203. HUT 203 contains the journal and photograph album of Douglas Eastwood, an American aircraft engine mechanic, from California. Doug worked for the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation at Burbank initially, and signed up to work overseas for the Lockheed Overseas Corporation. Arriving in Northern Ireland, Doug worked at the huge American air depot that was being constructed on the grounds of Langford Lodge. Arriving to see little had been done in terms of construction, Doug was put to work digging ditches, laying concrete and erecting buildings, until the base was finally open for business as an Air Depot. Doug's journal entries highlight the highs and lows of wartime living in Northern Ireland and England, out and about in the city of Belfast, the narrow back roads of the countryside, mingling with the local population, trips to England, working on aircraft, and the more sobering events that took place on the base such as aircraft accidents. With thanks to his kind son Rich, Doug's memories of his time here doing his part for the war effort, are forever captured in this soon to be released book, by Station 597 Publications.

Comments

• Congratulations, Will!

Love your cover.

• Many thanks for the feedback Maggie, much appreciated, I have been slightly weary of tampering with the colour of the original images, but I think it looks good as it is, if the cover was all b&w it would look rather dull. The same theme applies to the spine and the rear of the book, with photographs overlapping, train tickets, postcards etc... randomly together, it works well and there is a slight bit of colour there too, I will have to find it and i will post that also.

cheers

Will

• rc.jpg

Here is the rear cover of the book, It will be printed in the US Trade format, as this allows me to produce a hardback issue aswell as a paperback version with ease. I wonder if in the near future, cover jackets on hardbacks can be finished in a satin or matt finish rather than full gloss which is the only option available currently. Let me know your thoughts.

cheers

Will

• They're both beautiful, front and back. No, I wouldn't tamper with the colours. They look great as is.

• If I can pretend to be Ron for a moment:

"Due for release in the Winter of 2015, is HUT 203. HUT 203 contains the journal and photograph album of Douglas Eastwood, an American aircraft engine mechanic, from California. Doug worked for the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation at Burbank initially, and signed before signing up to work overseas for the Lockheed Overseas Corporation. Arriving in Northern Ireland, Doug worked at the huge American air depot that was being constructed on the grounds of Langford Lodge. Arriving to see little had been done in terms of construction, Doug was put to work digging ditches, laying concrete and erecting buildings, until the base was finally open for business as an Air Depot.

Doug's journal entries highlight the highs and lows of wartime living in Northern Ireland and England, out and about in the city of Belfast, the narrow back roads of the countryside, mingling with the local population, trips to England, working on aircraft, and the more sobering events that took place on the base, such as aircraft accidents. With thanks to his kind son Rich, Doug's memories of his time here doing his part for the war effort, are forever captured in this soon to be released book, by Station 597 Publications."

I would suggest the above changes to the blurb.

I know, as one writer to another, how difficult it is to sum up in a few words a story that takes 200 pages to properly tell. Nonetheless, the blurb is the first thing a reader will see, and it will help him decide to buy or not to buy.

I've taken the liberty of breaking it into a second paragraph and of removing a few leading subordinate clauses, all n the name of clarity and an eye-pleasing balance of white space.

I do know at least one person who would enjoy reading that book. And Maggie is right, your covers are fine.

I hope that helps.

• The front cover is nice, but perhaps too busy.

The back cover is more or less the front without the title. I would have had the blurb on the back much larger, in a white box. You have also left no clear space for a barcode.

• Maggie, Skoob, Kevin, many thanks for your positive input, the rear cover has yet to be completed I should have added. I had messed around with an opaque white box with the blurb contained within for the rear cover, but it somehow still does not look right, Ill need to have a good think about the rear cover. I also have to add the bar code clear space and pricing. The front cover, initially was a little busier, so I toned it down quite a bit to the point where it is at now, there is always room for improvement though. The project is around 95% complete, I'm at that phase of little alterations at the moment, and final tweaking that I change once, change back, then change again, you know how it is, before going to print. The blurb defiantly reads better for the edit, many thanks.
  • I would leave the price off.

• I agree with Kevin.

If you include the book price on the cover, you must include it for all currencies.  With fluctuations, those prices are constantly changing.

Also, we are in talks with our printers about adding more cover options. Once they have the technology in place, we will certainly make matte covers an option.

• Can you ask them if they can make it so the inside covers of paperbacks can be printed on? Even my humble home deskjet can print auto double-sided  Smiley Happy

I know that will mean updating the Cover Wizards also, but such is progress.  Smiley Wink

• Congratulations!

Wishing you all the best with the new publication.
  • I too like the originality of both front and back covers.

Well done.

• I, too, think the covers look very nice. Congratulations!

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Ron Miller wrote:

I, too, think the covers look very nice. Congratulations!

Who are you and what have you done with Ron Miller?

(kidding) Smiley LOL

• I have an original Log of the LOC man of my grandfather's, along with all his letters written to him and from him during and after his time there.  Yours is the only reference to this book that I found on the internet. I'm in the process of clearing out my mother's house and wonder if this information would have any meaning for you and your new book.

Best Regards, Laurie