Books Shipped To Wrong Customer

#lulumistakes

I got an email from a man who had ordered two cookbooks, and when he opened his (oversized) box, found six copies of my book (Building Martin-style Acoustic Guitar Kits) in a separate box, with a separate shipping order, inside.

Mistakes happen, but because of Lulu's lousy customer service system, the man could not figure out how to get in touch with Lulu to report the error. He emailed this to me:

"Hey Bill:

This is going to sound weird but I ordered 2 cookbooks from lulu.com and when I opened my order part of your order was boxed with it.  There's 6 building martin style guitar kits that came in a separate box with my cookbooks.  The box has my address but inside is your packing slip.  I tried to contact lulu but they do not seem to have a support email or contact number.  I did message them on facebook but I figured Id do a little detective work and see if I was able to reach out to you.

Frank"

Okay. I got in touch with him, and because Lulu's Cust Svc flow is so bad (as it has always been), it will probably be easier to get him to send the books to me.

Problem is, he only got HALF of my order. In checking the order progress in FedEx, I've found that the shipping was purchased on 12/12 ... it's now 12/20, but there is NO UPDATE on the FedEx page for the order's progress ... and, of course, it is impossible to get in touch with anyone at Lulu.

Lulu has always sucked at Cust Svc. If you new people have an alternative to this POD provider, you should seriously consider using it.

Comments

• Lulu will send him replacement books, or a refund (as per his wish) and he does not have to return the books.

Click on Help, top right and raise a ticket.

• First, I apologize for the shipping error.

There are two options for reporting these types of problems.

If you have a Lulu.com account, log in, click on your user name, select My Orders, and then click the Report a Problem with this Order link.

Alternatively, you can click the Support button that displays on all pages, choose My Order > I purchased a book or calendar > Defective, damaged, or incorrect order.

Both options result in your being able to report the issue so that it can be quickly resolved.

As Maggie mentioned, once the support issue is reported, we will happily refund or replace the orders.

#lulumakingitright

• Can't figure out why people are giving this guy, Glenn, "KUDOS," since the shipment has never arrived, Lulu support has never answered my submitted problem reports, the FedEx record says the package label was printed on 12/12, and more information would show up when the package entered ths system. As of today (12-26) no new information has shown up on the FedEx page, so the package has never "entered the system." I know that I, the customer, have never received the shipment.

So, "Kudos"? For Glenn? What for? Knowing how the system is "supposed to work?"

Nothing has worked, and the customers who ordered these books from me have been disappointed, most have received refunds -- and I STILL have not gotten any books.

Very bad, Lulu. Oh, yeah, and I still have not gotten a reply from my problem report, submitted over a week ago. (on 12-18).

FYI - the order was placed on Dec. 5, supposedly labeled for shipment on Dec 12, and has gone into a black hole. Along with it, my patience. Obviously.

I just had a thought -- Why doesn't Lulu give SOME priority to customers who order a lot, frequently? I order about 12 books per month, and I have been doing so since 2007, when the two books were created. Seems that Lulu would AT LEAST provide a quick support service, or maybe "grade" bulk purchasers like they do participants in this forum.

• Can't figure out why people are giving this guy, Glenn, "KUDOS," since the shipment has never arrived, Lulu support has never answered my submitted problem reports, the FedEx record says the package label was printed on 12/12, and more information would show up when the package entered ths system. As of today (12-26) no new information has shown up on the FedEx page, so the package has never "entered the system." I know that I, the customer, have never received the shipment.

So, "Kudos"? For Glenn? What for? Knowing how the system is "supposed to work?"

Indeed, exactly for that, and for being far more diplomatic than some of us users.   Smiley Happy

Nothing has worked, and the customers who ordered these books from me have been disappointed, most have received refunds -- and I STILL have not gotten any books.

Is it not either/or? Not both? I would say that if they have been given refunds then they have been sorted out, and now they use their refund to order again, if they so desire, that's how things normally work.

Very bad, Lulu. Oh, yeah, and I still have not gotten a reply from my problem report, submitted over a week ago. (on 12-18).

You are aware of the time of year? (+ weekends cannot be counted). That it not only slows down shipping, but that most places are also on holiday?

FYI - the order was placed on Dec. 5, supposedly labeled for shipment on Dec 12, and has gone into a black hole. Along with it, my patience. Obviously.

I just had a thought -- Why doesn't Lulu give SOME priority to customers who order a lot, frequently? I order about 12 books per month, and I have been doing so since 2007, when the two books were created.

I would suspect that 12 per month is not a lot. Lulu also do jobs for mainstream publishing companies, not to mention the entire work for those who can afford to pay for Lulu's Services.

Seems that Lulu would AT LEAST provide a quick support service, or maybe "grade" bulk purchasers like they do participants in this forum.

Bulk? A few 100 is not bulk any more than 12 books per month is, and no one gets preferential treatment.

How Do
  • @kevinlomas  -- Your interjections are unwarranted, inaccurate, and unwelcome.

1). I ordered these books on Dec 5. It is now January 6, and I have not gotten either a non-auto reply to my submitted problem report, or the shipment of books. This, despite the fact that the gentleman in another state who received half of my order was told to discard the books and that they would reprint and re-ship as soon as I contacted them. (He found me by searching for my book on Google and emailing me from the email address on my own website, from which I sell the books. I do not drop ship from Lulu and I do not dirct customers to purchase from Lulu. He followed Lulu's suggestion, kept a book for himself with my compliments, and that was that. But Lulu has apparently completely ignored my submitted problem report.)

2) The books were not ordered by customers from Lulu; they were ordered by ME to ship to customers who order directly from ME, but due to Lulu's problem with delivery (in spite of "guaranteed delivery by Dec.24" stated on the order page where I ordered the books to be shipped to me), I had to refund their payments, which had been made directly to ME, not to LULU, as you seem to have assumed. This cost me the revenue, and kept my customers from receiving their books, although three of them ordered the alternative PDF of the book that I offered at a reduced rate as apology. You see, my own customer service is much better than Lulu's is.

3) The Federal Express shipment page, as of this day (Jan 6) shows that the label was prepared, but nothing else was ever done by lulu. The shipment never entered the FedEx system. (See it yourself: (https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/html/index.html?tracknumbers=595441210820140 ).

"The measure of a company is not to be made when it succeeds, but when it fails. It is in that instance when the company establishes its true reputation." -- Arlen Savrol, a management consultant (This is a quote most companies should post liberally.)

LULU has failed. Indeed, they have not attempted to take care of the problem. 

@kevinlomas - This is not your issue. Please don't give the impression to others that you know something about it. Your additions only muddy the waters and make the whole situation more difficult. Thank you.

• Lulu Customer Service has, at long last, replied. The issue is (hopefully) settled, with a new order number. If all works this time, the order will be shipped to me, not to someone else. I assume that is what will take place, but sometimes, things don't work.

This would not have bothered me so much except for the fact that when the gentleman who got half of my order submitted his inquiry to Customer service, he got a response within two days. However, when I submitted mine (which was quite polite and "diplomatic") the reply did not come until today, which was 17 days after my problem submission.

Even counting the Christmas holiday and New Year holiday, this was a bit much.

In case anyone is following this, which I doubt, I'll post the results when the package arrives.