Lulu Header Styles

Greetings!

Forgive me ahead of time, but I read through Lulu's data concerning ePub, upload, requirements and TOC... Along with some other things and decided to make my manuscript broken into each "item" as it's own RTF file (TextEdit for MacBook). I know that to make the TOC correctly, I need to use Header Style 1 and Header Style 2 for titles and chapters in EACH file so the ePub transition can create the TOC. There's just one question.

Is "header style 1 & 2" a TextEdit (or other program) related "addition", or is header style 1 & 2 simply mean that on the first line of every RTF file I write "Chapter 5" or whatever else? If the answer to this question is the latter, then would a correct header style 1 be "Book Title" and HS2 "Chapter 1" as the first and second line of each RTF file? "Chapter 2" for file 2's HS2 etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Forgive me ahead of time, but I read through Lulu's data concerning ePub, upload, requirements and TOC... Along with some other things and decided to make my manuscript broken into each "item" as it's own RTF file (TextEdit for MacBook). I know that to make the TOC correctly, I need to use Header Style 1 and Header Style 2 for titles and chapters in EACH file so the ePub transition can create the TOC. There's just one question.

Lulu's ePub converter does indeed use what you tag as Heading  (not Headers, they are something else) Styles to create a TOC from, so if you upload many files to it I doubt it will stitch them together and make just one TOC. You are best just uploading one file.

Is "header style 1 & 2" a TextEdit (or other program) related "addition", or is header style 1 & 2 simply mean that on the first line of every RTF file I write "Chapter 5" or whatever else? If the answer to this question is the latter, then would a correct header style 1 be "Book Title" and HS2 "Chapter 1" as the first and second line of each RTF file? "Chapter 2" for file 2's HS2 etc.?

Lulu's Wizard and guides mainly expect and cover Docxs.

Heading Styles are to be found in Word and Word-like software. I am not at all sure if a RTF has or would hold Heading Styles. Don't hold me to that though! But does TextEdit have Heading Style tools?

Anyway, all you need is to tag what you want in the TOC with Heading Style 1 (Whole chapter headings for example). The other Heading Styles are for Sub-lists in a TOC.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Thank you!

According to two different pages in the Lulu guides, a TOC can be stitched as either a whole file, or every chapter as a file.

I don't think TextEdit allows setting a Header Style, but I can write the manuscript in TextEdit and transfer to a suitable editor later. However, I think finding a good word program would be wise off the cuff. Thanks!
  • According to two different pages in the Lulu guides, a TOC can be stitched as either a whole file, or every chapter as a file.

To be frank, I see no reason you need to create and upload multiple files when it's just as easy to create one.

• Personal preference.
  • Possibly, but why not make it easier to upload?

• For me, peace of mind is worth a little extra work.

Knowing each chapter is snug in a file helps my mind keep track of gathered data by chapter by file, rather than recall information by chapters out of the same file.

It's just the way I've learned my mind prefers to process and retain data. The same is for a computer hard drive (magnet not solid state) where in data is written in blocks or bits, but when defragged, all the bits are in order and in a single file line. When seeking to simply store, it's all on one disc, but when seeking to recall.... They're bits in a row!

Storing my manuscript in a single file is great... But writing it is another story, and writing is the battle. lol
  • For me, peace of mind is worth a little extra work.

Knowing each chapter is snug in a file helps my mind keep track of gathered data by chapter by file, rather than recall information by chapters out of the same file.

Sorry, but I don't get it. Chapters in my books' files are where I put them and I simply scroll to them. It just means one window is open also. Not only that, text moves while it is being edited, so it's handy that all the text in the whole file adjusts accordingly. It also makes in far easier for auto-page numbering to work as well as auto-TOC update.

It's just the way I've learned my mind prefers to process and retain data.

Well is is possible for people to learn other methodsSmiley Happy

The same is for a computer hard drive (magnet not solid state) where in data is written in blocks or bits, but when defragged, all the bits are in order and in a single file line. When seeking to simply store, it's all on one disc, but when seeking to recall.... They're bits in a row!

Not sure what that has to do with it because that's not how we view the folders and files, and software knows where to find it and to re-save it to. It even lists it in Recently Opened lists. And never try to defrag your mind. Smiley LOL

Storing my manuscript in a single file is great... But writing it is another story, and writing is the battle. lol

Well it's a lot easier if it's in one file because it allows you to take full advantage of what a WP can do. Add text, delete text, copy and paste, cut and paste, move back and forwards in it all, Apply To All, etc etc etc.

There's that other thing. I think Lulu has a file limit per upload to the Wizard of 100. A large book could have over that many chapters.

• Well, I mean the following with any due respect you may have on this forum.

You aren't my Father. You don't know me, and I certainly don't know you.

I have marked this post as solved by YOUR response many posts ago, yet you continue to comment about how my personal preference is wrong and needs correcting based on YOUR personal preferences.

Your pride is in error sir and I suggest you get off my toes and work on your little inner issues before you lose something near and dear to what little heart you have.

I am a grown Man. If Lulu allows me to do it a way I prefer, I do it that way. Your words are in vain.

Do not post on this topic again.
  • There are as many ways to build a book as there are to skin a cat. Hence the reason we engineered both the eBook and print book converters to accept up to 100 files.

Best Wishes to you @Repoland2 . If you have any other questions along the way please let us know. We are always happy to help.

• And there was me offering polite advice after publishing a dozen books or so. I often wonder why I bother.   Smiley Frustrated

• I am getting errors as well about my TOC.  It's giving me this:

There do not appear to be any chapters in your table of contents. This suggests that you need to properly set chapter divisions in your document.

I feel we’ve gotten off-track with this multiple files/single files, “What does a disk defrag do?” thing. Even if I cut-and-paste all 250 pages of my 30 chapters into a single file1 to do this (obviously, an unappetizing prospect!), what headers and such do I put at the start of that one gigantic, monolithic document?

Even if I give up and decide to run it all together, which would take, probably, hours, but anyway, how do I do it? If it's not accepting my chapters individually, why is it going to accept them if I run them together? I'd like answers to questions like that. As was said, it’s supposed to accept individually-filed chapters if there is an H1 and an H2 at the start of the file (partly by implication)—doesn’t that mean that the single file solution should also have an (invisible) H1 at the very start? What does that look like?

I feel like that’s the real question. Is the start of my document (or the start of each chapter) supposed to look like:

(H1) ONE

(h2) A First Chapter Dawns

Blah blah blah, scene-setting, character development, etc.

I feel I’ve tried all of that stuff, i.e., H1 followed by H2, all H1, just H2, they stuff is centered, by the way, so maybe that's bad. I guess I'm left to doing a binary dump (which I just did, by the way) and see what my RTF dump is really doing to me. It looks like it might be shoving in some empty H3s through H6es on me, which I take would be totally verboten. Anyway, please do let’s get down to brass tacks. If somebody can explain the technical underpinnings of how this works then I may actually become convince to give up my separate chapters (or write some more computer code to do it for me) but I hope to G-d it not come to that!

By the way, if I run my whole 250-page manuscript together, I won't be able to print it out from Google*Docs at Kinko's for one thing, which is critical for getting it on paper for editing (and showing drafts to co-writers) and using Google*Docs (or probably any other cloud solution) for back-up and shared access would become unworkable since such a large document is unmanageable for all intents and purposes.

1 I did this with Amazon’s MOBI builder, i.e., I wrote a script to cat all of my HTML chapters into one file and then pipe them into the builder. I think it’s brilliant that Lulu allows me to download each chapter (from Google*Docs) as RTF and upload them without having to hand-convert them to HTML and do that other stuff. Running my chapters together by hand—yikes! At least with my script method I could still work on my chapters individually, and I typically do that at least partly by hand, with red pen and paper.

• Hey Mr. Repo,

I've been having the same problem, but have made a little progress.  I have been unable to get my separate chapters to work (I get "you don't have any chapters" error on build), and I had each chapter name at the top of the RTF file as a Heading 2, and then I tried putting a Heading 1 and a Heading 2 at the top of each, still no traction.

I am with you that glomming my whole novel together is unworkable, and an unacceptable change to my process.

As I mentioned in my other post, when I used Amazon's tool, I basically "type-ed" (Unix "cat") my chapters and my header pages all together into one big file and then ran the MOBI builder tool on it.  I tried a similar tack with my RTF chapters (with just Header 2 on each) and it worked, but the Lulu builder only saw my cover page, not my two test chapters.  With the HTML, I was able to leave the header (<html></html>, <title></title>, <body></body>, etc.) off for each of my chapter files so it all looked like one long document.  Not surprisingly, RTF files seem to have a bunch of header (and tail) information on them so this approach doesn't work.

I tried the brute-force approach (just as a proof-of-concept) of cut-and-pasting my RTF title page and my first two chapters (with Heading 2) one after another into a new RTF document. This worked. It found my chapters. Once I'd downloaded my chapters to local drive in RTF from Google*Docs, I did it all in MS-Wordpad on my local PC.

In other words, I create everything elsewhere, and only start putting it together once I have all of my chapters saved as individual RTF files (by the way, I put the chapter number as the first 2 digits of the filename, e.g., "03homecoming.rtf" for sorting and ease-of-use.  My creation process involves paper and red pen, typewriter, photocopiers, printers, and Google*Docs, among other things, plus I get chapters critiqued on Critique Circle and elsewhere, and I work on it a chapter at a time, otherwise I'd drive myself crazy and the point of all this is to relax, right? Smiley Happy  Anyway...

My process → Google*Docs → RTF Download → Cut-and-paste into one, new RTF file → Upload to Lulu

I will keep working on it.  This approach seems to work, but has the disadvantages of:

1. Very manual (but so is uploading chapters one-by-one to Lulu)
    2. If you make a mistake, unwraveling it might be hairy
    3. You chuck away the final RTF file every time you create a new project
    4. You can't add and remove chapters in your Lulu project (or change the order)

It has the advantages:

1. All the work you do is on your local PC, so no waiting for dodgy Internet connections
    2. You only upload the one final file (fire-and-forget upload)
    3. You don't have to "shoehorn" your chapters to work in the builder (just put Header 2)
    4. It does seem to work
    5. It's relatively simple

I hope that this is at least somewhat useful.  I am going to try another test with my cover graphic and if that works, I should be able to do the whole thing!  I still need to get an ePub reader to make sure it all looks decent in the end.

Write on! Smiley Very Happy

• Another issue I've just run into is that I have all of these H1 titles, namely:

1. Cover from Print Edition
    2. My Story Title
    3. Copyright
    4. Acknowledgements

...and then my chapters start, and since they are H2 titles, they go under the previous H1 header in the TOC, namely "Acknowledgements" which makes the TOC look silly.

I am going to assume, for the sake of the TOC, that I need to put a final H1 header, e.g., "The Story" for the chapters to live under, unless somebody has another idea.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I don't know what to reply to first ...

Ok. Headers are not the same as Heading Styles.

I assume you mean an ePub.

To pass Lulu's tests all you need in a TOC is Title, Copyright (the word at the top of a copyright page) tagged with Heading Style 1.

If you also want anything else that is heading the top of a page, such as chapter names, also tag those with Heading Style 1.

HS2 and HS3 are for use after HS1 as sub and sub-sub with in a TOC

HS1

HS2

HS3

and they have to be followed by HS1 again.

• I'm with both Repoman and Jayushkin here - stuffing a whole book in one long screed is not - to me - the best way of working. Individual chapters allow easy re-ordering if required and are much less susceptible to accidental ctrl-A del oopsies. But my preferred editor is LyX and I don't use Word unless I absolutely have to - it's an abomination (though if it works for you, go for it).

I've just had a bit of a rant about Lulu's conversion methods on another thread here, so I won't repeat it here, save to say that I think that the import/production of ebooks could be vastly improved.

Neil