Always Backup!

I was burgled on Tuesday and among other things my iMac was lifted. I had made back up files about a month ago but I lost almost all of the work on my second novel and the final corrections for The Grangemouth Conspiracy. It's not the computer, it's the unreplaceable stuff on the hard drive! A bit ironic after the thread about who owns what.... So make back ups every day! Just saying...

Fergus

Comments

• Very sorry to hear that. Yes a very good idea to make back ups. I put them on a separate hard drive in case the main drive crashes. But a better idea is to save each day to a thumb drive or maybe external hard drive, something you can disconnect and hide just in case. Again very sorry about your loss.

• Agreed, and sucks about the burglary.

I foun that remembering to do backups regularly is a pain in the **bleep**. Either you end up automating the backup system (and thus have the backup media always attached to the computer, making it just as likely to be stolen or destroyed by a power surge), or you end up forgetting to do it at the most crucial moment.

Thus, all my primary work is now held on a cloud drive. All the major cloud services offer software that automatically updates the cloud copy of a file whenever you update the file on your computer or add a new file to the folder that is cloned on the cloud drive.

All my maps (my primary income earner) are on Google Drive.
    All my writing and book files are on Microsoft's One Drive.

All my miscellaneous stuff is on Box.

In this way, even if my computer and local backups are destroyed, I can still access the files via "the cloud".

• Sorry for your loss.

I back-up at the end of every session. I was advised this when I bought my first computer in 1990.  Now I back-up on an external hard drive.

There are companies that can keep your back-up; so even if both your computer and your external hard drive are stolen, you can retrieve your files from them.

For a novel a USB key is quite enough, and they are very easy to keep and hide. 

• That's awful. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope they didn't get much else.

My personal advice with backups is to use an automated solution. They cost money, but they can be lifesavers. I use Carbonite, which costs me about £50 a year, but it's worth it for the peace of mind. Every time a file changes it automatically gets backed up to Carbonite's servers, so even if my house got hit by a meteor, I've still got offsite backups.

• Richard_Coady wrote:

That's awful. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope they didn't get much else.

My personal advice with backups is to use an automated solution. They cost money, but they can be lifesavers. I use Carbonite, which costs me about £50 a year, but it's worth it for the peace of mind. Every time a file changes it automatically gets backed up to Carbonite's servers, so even if my house got hit by a meteor, I've still got offsite backups.

I'm curious why you would use Carbonite instead of a free solution like one of the many cloud drive services out there? What does Carbonite offer that the cloud solutions like Google Drive doesn't?

• DysonLogos wrote:

I'm curious why you would use Carbonite instead of a free solution like one of the many cloud drive services out there? What does Carbonite offer that the cloud solutions like Google Drive doesn't?

If I'm honest it's partly habit. I've used it since before OneDrive et al got going. But as I understand it, things like OneDrive and Google Drive are places for storing files. Carbonite is a backup solution. So it'll do things like automatic encrypted backups of a file whenever it changes, and it'll backup things like appdata, so not just files but settings are backed up. Last time I did a restore it was because I'd bought a new laptop and I was able to restore all my settings to my new machine. It'll throttle the bandwidth as well, so that it only transfers files using bandwidth that I'm not using for anything else. And the size of backups are unlimited.

Anyway, it's not for everyone. I don't want to sound like an advert. I just like th convenience of not having to worry about carrying out my own backups.

• That makes a lot of sense for the price - cloud systems generally only backup specific folders instead of your whole system. That sounds like a great "higher end" solution.

But at a minimum, I recommend that everyone who doesn't have an automated off-site backup system like Mr Coady immediately set up a cloud storage system for off-site backups of your documents folder at the very least.
  • I never realised how anoying getting used to a new keyboard would be! I bought a cheap PC to replace my stolen iMac and the key board is bugging the sh** out of me! 

The most anoying thing about all this is that they took my passport and It'll take two months to replace since I'm a brit living abroad.

I applied online for a new one and when I had to give my credit card details they asked for my passort number as proof of identity and when I gave then the number it was refused beacuse it had been reported stolen! Talk about viscious circles!!!

Thanks for all the advice about back ups. I'm becoming a B/U maniac with a 500Gb hard drive getting my work every half hour.

Cheers guys.

• I dont read a my backup!! euroinnova opiniones Smiley Sad