Lulu Book Description Character Limit

I just did a quick Google search for the Lulu description character limit (without having to log in) and it yielded nothing, so here it is for those who, like me,  want it at a glance:

Your description must be at least 50 characters not including spaces and no more than 1024 characters including spaces.

A citizen of the world.

Comments

• Any author worth his or her salt should be able to do fifty characters easily -- And if one goes beyond 1024 in a blurb, one might have missed the point of a blurb. Smiley Very Happy

I do recall one fellow who had been told that the final point of a speech should be a brief summary and recap of his prior points, and he apparently took this to mean that he should repeat the entire speech a sec

*** Truncated by length limit ***

• Also, don't make it too wordy or high-falutin. People remember simple and clear words.

A citizen of the world.

• When one looks at books published on Kindle one comes across incredibly long book titles and blurbs. I can only assume that the reason for this is that the authors wish to cover all bases and have their book show up as a result of numerous searches. I still think it is a shame that the keywords we enter into Lulu are not fed across to the distribution partners and I am surprised that Lulu authors don’t do the same to try and get around this problem. I always thought keywords were part of metadata; metadata is described as being data about data and the keywords of a book would, I think, qualify in that they are providing data about what the book is about, along with its title and the name of the author.

I’ve not yet conducted a detailed enough study of the books on Kindle but some of the books which I have studied which appeared to be selling seem to have a longer product description than Lulu’s 1000 characters allow.

To use a cliché: at the end of the day it is all about the sales. Whatever produces results is the right strategy.

• danielblue wrote:

When one looks at books published on Kindle one comes across incredibly long book titles and blurbs. I can only assume that the reason for this is that the authors wish to cover all bases and have their book show up as a result of numerous searches. I still think it is a shame that the keywords we enter into Lulu are not fed across to the distribution partners and I am surprised that Lulu authors don’t do the same to try and get around this problem. I always thought keywords were part of metadata; metadata is described as being data about data and the keywords of a book would, I think, qualify in that they are providing data about what the book is about, along with its title and the name of the author.

I’ve not yet conducted a detailed enough study of the books on Kindle but some of the books which I have studied which appeared to be selling seem to have a longer product description than Lulu’s 1000 characters allow.

To use a cliché: at the end of the day it is all about the sales. Whatever produces results is the right strategy.

So if you wrote a book about Physics, and you used Metadata to describe it, would one of your keywords be Metaphysics? Smiley LOL

• I have not looked on Author Central to see if my keywords port over, but I doubt it makes any difference if they do. There are 1000s of similar books on Amazon that will all have the same keywords. Apart from the direct links I have to my content there, the only sure way of finding my books is to search for my name or the titles of my books, and of course I know those  Smiley Happy

As to Descriptions. I have a lot of trouble wit them because I do not want to give the contents away too much. They should not be in the same mode as a synopsis sent to a potential publishing house.

• I've been trying to add the search words into my titles or subtitles. I also contact Amazon support and get them to add the metadata to the book. They really are good about that.
  • The key words do make quite a difference as my book didn't show up until I had them added. Then it showed on the fourth page. If it's selling well it shows up sooner if not it slowly moves back into the longer searches.
  • I agree with Shadowmonkey that key words are important. When I want to buy a book on Kindle I search for topics that interest me; I don’t go there looking to buy a specific book, just as when you go to a bookstore if it often just to browse. Admittedly the search might reveal thousands of results but at least you are in the right area, and the more cunningly key words are used the better the chances of someone finding your book.

Say, for example, that I wished to buy a book about Cardiff in Wales but was not interested in any other town, or hamlet, named Cardiff. If the author used ‘cardiff in wales’ as one of his key words then his book would be listed before any other about the other Cardiffs which may exist.

Kevin doesn’t mention what his conversion rate is from his 7000 website hits to sales but it may well be that the search facility on Kindle will generate an equal number of sales.

• I did not say that metatags are not important, but I am saying that when there are 1000s of books with similar content, so no doubt similar metatags, those will be hard to find via metatags. Amazon search will bring up a great list of options.

I know what my metatags are, so I know what to use in an Amazon Search, and three of my books have more or less the same ones. On Amazon if I search for dragons, fairies, space, in SF, one of my direct to Kindle books comes up as number 19 of 20. Just one. Then again it is the Part 2 of a series that does in fact have dragons in it  Smiley Happy  If I remove the word dragon from the search it comes up with 384 suggestions, which I cannot be bothered looking through, and perhaps that's the point? There can be 100s if not 1000s of books with very similar metatags.

Do you mean?  kevinlomas.net? I know for a fact that the metatags on all the pages there do not port to other sites, so that's somewhat irrelevant to the subject, but it is the metatags there that gain those hits, and you are only seeing the hits for that one page  Smiley Happy

• Incidentally, I just discovered the character limit for PDF Ebook projects is 1000 characters including spaces.

A citizen of the world.

• I could swear they had a built in limit counter. But it's not there anymore. Maybe I'm confused. What a drag. Thanks for sharing this important infoSmiley Happy