We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

preview thought

Greetings

How much of your paperback do you reveal in your preview? I wanted to offer a decent size preview [ prologue, chapter 1, with front and back covers, within the 2mb limit. I hope I have that correct 2 mb. This is a 398 page novel. The genre's are somewhat limited and I'd like to allow a potential buyer the info to decide if it's what they're looking for.

Comments

• One more question - Would you put a copyright header on each page of the preview?

• My preview is the first 20 pages... enough for a taster, but not too much of the story.

As for a copyright on each preview page, I wouldn't worry - if your copyright page is in the preview anyway, that will do the trick.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Resonate

Remember that the preview which you are thinking of making only applies to Lulu.

Nook and Kindle have their own previews, often only a few pages long but for a book as long as yours it will be a little more substantial; for example a 312 page book I looked at had 17 ‘page’ turns. The first few pages of your book have to be the ones that grab people, shake them up and make them want to buy.

With a short book you will often only get to see 2 pages as the preview on Kindle. Some authors worry about the fact that ebooks distributed to Kindle via Lulu lose their table of contents but I only see this as a good thing. It lets potential viewers sample some of your writing which they would not ordinarily see if the preview consisted only of the table of contents.

• Thanks guys. I want to know what the process involves before I start the process.

As for the preview, I would prefer the front/back covers and copyright right page, followed by the prologue and 1st chapter.

Amazon's lookinside  preset is 30% after the prologue and a minimum of 10% after the prologue [if I have it correct]. More than I care to reveal at 10%

I have a PDF with the front/back covers imbedded followed by a portion of the interior - I hope this works

Silly me...waffling on about ebooks when you were talking about print books. Sorry about that.

However, you said:

Amazon's lookinside  preset is 30% after the prologue and a minimum of 10% after the prologue [if I have it correct]. More than I care to reveal at 10%

I've just looked at two books. One had 480 pages and allowed 17 to be viewed and the other had 561 pages and allowed 25 to be viewed.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile
    I make a selection of ten to twenty representative pages, always including the table of contents, and never the blank pages. I noticed many Lulu authors neglect the preview, and the default one is seldom satisfactory, when it is not a definite turn-off.
  • danielblue - That makes me feel better - amazon minimium

potetjp - I like the idea of selections, maybe include something humorous, perplexing, or provocative, but sometimes it needs to be set up before you can read into it. So, I just got this novel uploaded and completed with the covers, copyright, prologue, and chapte 1. I like the way the custom preview allows you to specify individual pages and leave out the blanks and for me the TOC.

Now, if I can find out how to reset the private to Lulu only setting. I was gonna post the cover and blurb, but I'll wait for the bookstore to be available and post a link. It too me so long to let go of this novel and now I can relax.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

On the Previews we can control, Lulu's, I usually Preview to the end of a chapter that may make people wonder "OMG, what happens next?!!" or a chapter or two that end like that.

It depends on how many pages there are, though. If the book has many pages then I leave the Frontmatter in.

I have no ePub Previews on Lulu, however, but my own site aims at many other places such as Amazon, who create their own Previews. Amazon have options that people can click.

As to 'Lulu' e-books on Amazon. There's no TOC in them at all, and there should be.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile
    If your book is with Google, you will see that they nearly show a whole chapter.

Kevin said:

As to 'Lulu' e-books on Amazon. There's no TOC in them at all, and there should be.

I hope that there never will be. I like being able to read a few paragraphs of the book in the preview rather than just seeing a table of contents which tells me nothing. I buy books based on being able to judge the author’s style and skill, not based on a list of contents.

The only down side is that you can't jump about in the book and have to read it from start to finish but that is kinda the whole point of a book and is what we used to do before ebooks came along.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Kevin said:

I hope that there never will be. I like being able to read a few paragraphs of the book in the preview rather than just seeing a table of contents which tells me nothing. I buy books based on being able to judge the author’s style and skill, not based on a list of contents.

Well in that instance I was replying to do with e-books, and according to the rules Lulu cites, if an ePub does not have a TOC then it will be rejected, and yet when they are sent to Amazon the TOCs are stripped out.

As you see here with a Kindle book I put there myself  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WCYOQ8   the TOC is still there, and active, so it does not get in the way at all. I had to assume that an e-book placed there from Lulu has no TOC in at all, and they should have.

The only down side is that you can't jump about in the book and have to read it from start to finish but that is kinda the whole point of a book and is what we used to do before ebooks came along.

With an e-book yes, but it really does not matter with a printed book. I use an old fashioned pagemarker. (A strip of card). I usually say that a printed fiction book needs no TOC, and the same goes for any printed book that has few pages.

• You used to be able to preview whatever pages you wanted.  I wanted the Index to preview but now I can't get that to happen in my print book.  Any suggestions

• Thanks again for your help working through Lulu options. Things are pretty much self explanatory

once you start the process. Like I've said, I'm a quirky person, who likes to know what I'm getting

myself involved with.

"You used to be able to preview whatever pages you wanted.  I wanted the Index to preview but now I can't get that to happen in my print book.  Any suggestion."

brennajne2 - If you're referring to Lulu, you can edit your preview. Four choices are available - choose make your own

and list individual pages seperated by a comma or continuous with a dash in the text box. If I leave out the first 2 blank pages and start with title, copyright, followed with prologue and 1st chapter it would look like this in the blank text box. 3,4,7-13, 15-30

• You used to be able to preview whatever pages you wanted.  I wanted the Index to preview but now I can't get that to happen in my print book.  Any suggestions

On Lulu? You still can, but you have to make sure you Save after you have selected which pages you want it to show.

There's no auto-preview option for ePubs though. You have to create a file to upload for one.

• resonate wrote:

Thanks again for your help working through Lulu options. Things are pretty much self explanatory

once you start the process. Like I've said, I'm a quirky person, who likes to know what I'm getting

myself involved with.

"You used to be able to preview whatever pages you wanted.  I wanted the Index to preview but now I can't get that to happen in my print book.  Any suggestion."

brennajne2 - If you're referring to Lulu, you can edit your preview. Four choices are available - choose make your own

and list individual pages seperated by a comma or continuous with a dash in the text box. If I leave out the first 2 blank pages and start with title, copyright, followed with prologue and 1st chapter it would look like this in the blank text box. 3,4,7-13, 15-30

I still can't edit my preview and I choose make your own and tried putting in 20-25 and it reverts back to the default