is having blank pages mandatory?

I read somewhere (here) that you need to put a blank page at the front of the book, and another at the last page, as if the book was between 2 blank pages.

I dont want to have these pages in my book.

Also, i plan on getting a few copies made for myself and my friends, but not publish it for sale. Is it ok if I just go without these blanks?

I used MS word to type my book, and the page numbers function is causing problems. I can put new pages in, and have a blank page at the end, but to get the page numbers to stick to the plan is difficult.

Any help please? Thanks. btw great website.

Comments

• There are no mandatory blank pages for self-publication.

There may be when it comes to distribution (not my department - I only publish through Lulu and don't put my books into distribution)
  • I know for distribution, you need to have the last page completely blank. I've never put them in the front of the book and they passed. For private book I'd say you can do it however you want to.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

Jamesthescribe a écrit :

I read somewhere (here) that you need to put a blank page at the front of the book, and another at the last page, as if the book was between 2 blank pages. 

The last page has to be blank. The total number of pages, including this blank page, has to be divisible by 4. These two are mandatory. Any other suggestion is not.

My books emulate professional productions. I add two blank pages (one leaf) at the beginning and two blank pages (one leaf) at the end. These are not found in cheap and amateurish productions. The purpose of these four blank pages is to protect the text in case the cover is lost.
    Printers add a leaf in strong paper at both end when the book is hard bound. These leaves are not to be confused with the blank leaves in the same paper as the rest of the book.

• potetjp wrote:

I add two blank pages (one leaf) at the beginning and two blank pages (one leaf) at the end. These are not found in cheap and amateurish productions.

Nor are they found in a lot of publications in fields other than fiction.

• Why does the total number of pages have to be divisible by 4?

DysonLogos a écrit :

Nor are they found in a lot of publications in fields other than fiction.

I don't think so. I am reading Henri-Irénée MARROU, Histoire de l'éducation dans l'Antiquité. Two volumes, paperback. I m starting volume 2. Let's see.

The first page is blank; the second has the list of the author's other books; the last one is blank; it is followed by six pages advertising  the other books in the same series : Point Histoire. I am sure you can find non-fiction books with similar characteristics in English.

• In paperback, yes, but not as often in hardcover.

Jamesthescribe a écrit :

Why does the total number of pages have to be divisible by 4?

I don't know. it's a tradition in printing.

in-folio = the full sheet

in-quarto = a quarter of the folio

in-octavo = an eighth of the folio

In the case of an in-4°, they printed 4 pages on one side and 4 other pages on the other side. Once the ink was dry, they folded the folio twice to obtain 8 pages on two half-folios. Several of these were stitched together to make a signature. The signatures were bound together into a book under a cover;

It goes without saying that the difficulty is to print the pages in the right order. You can experiment with sheets of paper. To get 8 pages in the right order, you'll see that you must needs put pages 8, 1, 5 and 4 on one side, and  pages 2, 7, 3 and 6  on the other side of the folio.  

• Jamesthescribe wrote:

Also, i plan on getting a few copies made for myself and my friends, but not publish it for sale. Is it ok if I just go without these blanks?

Yes, no worries, you're OK

Unless you require 'distribution' -- that means in order to sell the book publically via Amazon, you do not need need blank pages.

If you want distribution you need 1 blank page which must be the last page if your page count is divisible by 4

If it is not divisible by 4 the factory will add sufficient blank pages when printing so no worries.

• I did not have a blank page in the front of my first book, and I regretted it

Here's why

If you're selling books live at an event, hopefully someone will ask you to autograph your book. If you have a nice blank flypage in the front, it's a great place to sign and perhaps add a personalized message. If you have to cram your autograph in on the title page, it looks messy and more amateur

(by the by, one of the big thrills of being a indie author is having someone ask for your autograph. It's fun. Don't miss it Smiley Happy   )

Catherine Kane, pesky indie author

Indeed. Also, given the fact that our POD books are a little expensive compared to the mass-produced ones, the absence of the two blank opening pages may come as a bad surprise to the buyer.

• Not only that, hard-backed books in particular have to have blank pages front and back because they aid to bind the covers on. If you do not include them the printer will add them, and at times that can throw out the formatting. Paperbacked POD books don't have that rule, But I add them anyway. (Same files in fact.)