Black and white paperback grayscale?

I'd like to have certain text in my book (headers, chapter headings, title page) in gray instead of black, but I don't know if the gray will come out fuzzy (or just black). Will the black and white option print gray as well?

Thanks!

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Yes it will. Although I would leave all but Headers and Footers black.

• Awesome, thanks!

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

In several of my books I have greyed some words, phrases, clauses, sentences, entries and table cells. They are printed a little darker than the original. My wordprocessor is Wordperfect. I always select the brightest shade of grey for such purposes. The characters remain perfectly legible. (see sulák in the attachment)

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

I have used greys for chapter heads and drop caps where the typeface is large and fairly heavy but I think using grey for text probably wouldn't be advisable. Greys are achieved by screening, which breaks up lines...this can make text look a little blurry...and the smaller the font the worse this gets.

What potetjp is doing is highlighting areas of text by placing blocks of grey over them. I don't think this is what you are suggesting doing.

You are welcome.
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher

A not so good solution consists in changing the color of the characters from black to dark gray. The resutt is that the text becomes less visible. Nothing can beat black characters on a white background in terms of visibility.

You may also try a sentence in various colors and print the sheet. The colors will be printed in shades of gray.

• potetjppotetjp Teacher

Ron Miller a écrit :

What potetjp is doing is highlighting areas of text by placing blocks of grey over them. I don't think this is what you are suggesting doing.

I agree with you, Ron. It's a form of highlighting.

• We wanted to print a simple grey image (very light) in the background of each page under the text.  By looking at your box of grey behind text, it seems this would work.  So you just selected black and white or cream and used the lightest grey to print this way?

Thanks!!

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

This thread is many months old.