Page count and spine size

Hi, I'm new to this and was hoping for some clarification.

When beginning the process of publishing a book we are given the choice of entering the number of pages to ascertain the spine size.

I'm unsure whether to enter my page count of 540 odd, or to work out how many physical pages the book will have.

Could someone clarify this for me, as I need to spine dimensions to complete the book cover.

Many thanks,

Craig

Comments

• I have always used number of written pages. Not sheets of paper. Has worked for me.
  • If you are using the Lulu cover wizard, it will take care of everything and automatically calculate the width of the spine. All you will have to do is select the background color(s), upload a JPG picture for the front cover, adjust the title if necessary, add a blurb on the back cover, etc.

Conversely, if you are creating a one-piece cover separately, you'll need to give the exact number of pages (divisible by 4, including the blank pages) to the calculator. The exact number of pages of a PDF is clearly diplayed in one of the top bars, so this is the number you should enter in the Lulu calculator.

• Thanks both for the info. Seems I was over thinking it.
  • You are welcome
  • If you have an existing book and cover, created with the wizard, and you alter the number of pages in the book say from 100 to 130 will the spine of the cover automatically expand to account for the extra pages or do you have to create a new cover.

Mel Bramble

• In the basic Cover Wizard (the first one that opens) it will change according to page count.