Audio book

Has anyone done this? I saw on Amazon how they can make audio books of your paperback and you can pay through percentage of royalties. Mine has some graphics in it so I don't know if that would good or not. My second one though which is only 40 pages has no graphics and a short story. I might try it with that if anyone can advise.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Some lady has been promoting audio books in the forum for a long time. I guess she is the one to ask. Shame I cannot recall her name!

I cannot find Amazon's offer to create audiobooks from my Kindle books. Do you have a link?

It's this place  http://www.audible.co.uk/at/ANON2_at     that seems to create audio books that are on Amazon though.

Then again. It's nothing to do with Lulu  Smiley Happy

Interesting. It's not exactly Amazon but some subsidiary. Here's the deals >>

https://www.acx.com/help/what-s-the-deal/200497690

Note the underlined bit (their underlining) in everyone of the options though >>

"Audible has the exclusive right to distribute the audiobook. If you choose this option, the audiobook cannot be distributed by any entity except ACX in any market or format."

To me that means not also as a text e-book or printed book anywhere at all, even Amazon. That's far too restricting.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

I bookmarked them when she posted for possible future use:

Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX)

Keep in mind that they will only accept high quality audio. Files created with Audacity will be refused.

A citizen of the world.

• Didn't I read on there that they would have people to audition for your audiobook and they would record it for you? Then they got paid from your sales on royalty basis.
  • potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

From their site:

"Authors

Get your title up and out there

Confirm your rights

Create your title profile

Find a Producer

Make a deal to get your audiobook produced"

Are these verbs in the imperative or is "we" (the firm) understated? The offer sounds ambiguous enough to allow a lot of leeway for loopholes.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Kevin

You did not read the material carefully enough. There are three options:

Option 1: Royalty payments are split between author and producer of audio book and the audio book has to be distributed by ACX.

Option 2: The author pays the producer a flat fee and the audio book has to be distributed by ACX.

Option 3: The author pays the producer a flat fee and the author is then free to distribute the audio book in any format and any market that they choose.

I’m not picking on you but I hate to see incorrect/incomplete information being handed out as if it were gospel.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

May I repeat my question? "Are these verbs in the imperative or is "we" (the firm) understated?"

Then they got paid from your sales on royalty basis.

It does say that on one option, but I would suspect it only applies to books that are already top sellers as other media.

Am I not typing in English? Does no one see the links I paste to the sites I had just read. and pulled important information from? I will paste it again.

Note the underlined bit (their underlining) in everyone of the options though >>

"Audible has the exclusive right to distribute the audiobook. If you choose this option, the audiobook cannot be distributed by any entity except ACX in any market or format."

It says that at the bottom of all three options. Note the word "format". Get the restriction now? It's saying if you use their service you will have to remove even your printed books from distribution.  

There should be a roll your eyes emote.

• Actually the second line of that says, "Audio Book" cannot be distributed in any other format. There is more than one format of audio. I believe that is what is they are saying. I can't see Amazon not using every format available to make money. Why limit it to audio when they can sell the books and kindle version as well?

kevinlomas wrote:

Am I not typing in English? Does no one see the links I paste to the sites I had just read. and pulled important information from? I will paste it again.

It says that at the bottom of all three options. Note the word "format". Get the restriction now? It's saying if you use their service you will have to remove even your printed books from distribution.  

There should be a roll your eyes emote.

Kevin

Forget the ‘Roll your Eyes’ emoticon; what is needed is a ‘Foot in Mouth’ one.

These are the exact words on the website that you provided a link to (Option 3)

Non-exclusive distribution—
    through Audible, Amazon, and iTunes** via ACX, as well as wherever else Rights Holder chooses. Under this model, Rights Holder can grant distribution rights to parties other than Audible in any market or any format.

Note the …wherever else Right Holder chooses… and Rights Holder can grant distribution rights to parties other than Audible in any market or any format… clauses.

This is not the same as Options 1 and 2. In fact, it is quite the opposite; the right holder is free to do as he wishes.

In your last post you said:

As I pointed out before too often you give incomplete and/or incorrect information. Please take a little time to digest and understand what you are reading and then compose your posts in such a way that they convey the true meaning of what you are trying to say.

It is time to close this discussion; you are wrong and the evidence is clear.

Do you not understand the word media?

I will help you >>>   http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/media

Indeed, end of discussion, sign up if you wish.

Kevin,

I will grant you one thing - you are consistent. You always prove that you are not to be taken seriously. All I want is for you to stop giving people incorrect information.

Geraldine Alley has print books, ebooks and audibooks for sale. You want to explain that? What is under discussion here is only the rights for audiobooks and even then only two of the three options tie you to ACX while the third allows you to distribute your audiobook to any channel you choose. Whoever heard of a book only existing in audiobook format?

It doesn’t matter how loud you shout; it doesn’t make you right. Audiobooks are only ever an adjunct to real books (print or epub).

We should be done here but I know you will answer and that will only prove my point.

Shall we break this down?

There are three options, two say >>

ACX exclusive distribution—
    through Audible, Amazon, and iTunes** via ACX, as well as wherever else Audible chooses. Under this model, Audible has the exclusive right to distribute the audiobook. If you choose this option, the audiobook cannot be distributed by any entity except ACX

in any market or format.

Did you click the link to see what format means? It seems not.

The 3rd option where you pay a a greater up-front flat rate says this >>

Under this model, Rights Holder can grant distribution rights to parties other than Audible in any market or any format.

Like it or not, that is what it says.

If you can actually find any prices there, let me know. I think I gave the link for people to look for themselves.

Kevin

You said:

The 3rd option where you pay a a greater up-front flat rate says this >>

Under this model, Rights Holder can grant distribution rights to parties other than Audible in any market or any format.

Like it or not, that is what it says.

This next paragraph is crucial to understanding the problem here. Please read it carefully.

Can you not see that little word 'can' between holder and grant? That means the right holder can do as he pleases and sell the audio book wherever he wishes. In what way is that a restriction?

You made a sweeping statement early on in the post, namely:

To me that means not also as a text e-book or printed book anywhere at all, even Amazon. That's far too restricting.

This is not 'every one of the options'; it is only two out of three. And it is only talking about audio books, not any other kind.

Your latest post proves what I am trying to say: you don't fully understand what you are commenting on. Just slow down, stop being so eager to always have the last word and think about what you say.

Has the option not also been given many times for everyone to click the link and read it all for themselves to make their own minds up? I think it has ...

e = mc2

• I hope this will answer most, if not all of your questions. I have placed a link that shows, and explains everything in step to step detail.

http://www.acx.com/help/authors/200484540

• You decide how your audiobook is produced, who narrates it, and whether you sell exclusively through ACX, or through ACX and other distribution channels.

Not only will every audiobook you make on ACX be available to the world at Audible.com, Amazon.com, and iTunes, but also if you grant Audible exclusive distribution rights, then you'll earn royalties of 40%.

• Also, since you have your ebooks from LULU listed as for sale on the Amazon site for a distribution choice, you can also have your audiobook for sale at a special price if they purchase the ebook with it (together). Just something to keep in mind.