saddle stitch: minimum page count of 4 or 8?

Hi all,
I've just taken a look at my proof copy of what I thought was a simple 4 page saddle-stitch booklet, and was surprised to find 8 pages inside.

The last 4 pages were white and added by the printer, but the page count for saddle stitch is listed as 1-88 as long as it is divisible by 4, so does 4 not count? Does anyone know if the minimum is actually 8? Or was this an error? The 4 blank pages really spoil the booklet of course, it appears half empty. If 8 is the minimum it would be helpful (understatement!) if Lulu provided this information.

Thanks for your time and help,

Christopher

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Based on the information under the link below, it looks like the minimum page count is one. The printer will likely add one to three pages for an even number.

http://www.lulu.com/publish/books/?cid=nav_bks

A citizen of the world.

• Hi Maggie, I've read all the information but nothing on the site explains why 4 blank pages were added to a booklet that already had 4 pages, so I wondered if anyone on here had had similar experience...

• Four pages in addition to the cover?

• Yes, the cover plus four inside pages.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Do you mean 8 pages as a page count? Or 8 entire new sheets? (making an extra page count of 16 Smiley Happy ) A 'page' is just one side, each side = 1 leaf.

I have often said that Lulu's guide (not that I have looked at it for a long time!) asks for at least two blank pages (page count) at the front and the back, and printers will add them if they are not in the file. (Odd when some book types can have From 1 page (Which would have to be two I would have thought as a page count? Two sides?)

If they added them to your 4 page book that would make 8 'pages' but 4 leafs. Yes?

Confused? Me too!

So do you mean pages or leafs?

• Hi Christopher

I see you have submitted a support case. I chatted with our print team about your forum post.

Please take a few digital photos illustrating the problem and attach them to the auto-response email you received from our support system. The print support team will have a look and respond.

• To Kevin Lomas.

You've helped a lot of people on here, but with respect, it appears to me you are complicating things unnecessarily here. I would have used leaf if I had meant that, but seeing as all the lulu information talks in pages, let's keep it simple: so yes, 8 pages came back when I gave a PDF with a page count of 4. The first 4 were the pages I supplied (and as the print-ready file displayed), the second 4 pages were blank. All I want to find out is if that's because Lulu want a minimum of 8 for the production, or because the printer made an odd mistake. Hope that's clearer on my part, thanks again, Christopher.

• To Glenn,

photos of blank pages? As proof? Could you tell me if this means there was an error then?  

Thanks, Christopher

• Platin wrote:

To Kevin Lomas.

You've helped a lot of people on here, but with respect, it appears to me you are complicating things unnecessarily 

Smiley Very Happy

You've helped a lot of people on here,

Well thank you Smiley Happy

but with respect,

That always goes down well. Smiley Very Happy

it appears to me you are complicating things unnecessarily here.

That all depends because some people who ask do not know the difference, I was just asking if you did, and now I know.

I would have used leaf if I had meant that, but seeing as all the lulu information talks in pages, let's keep it simple:

Indeed, but some people do assume it means the sheets of paper, and not page count. Is it not best to be sure what a questioner means first?

I am sure Glenn can find out.

• Hi Platin

We tracked down the problem.

Your saddle-stiched booklet was printed at our French facility. This facility adds a barcode page to every publication. The barcode on this added page corresponds to the book cover barcode. By matching the two barcodes during binding, the incidence of mismatched covers and interiors has been greatly reduced in this facility.

Unfortunately, when the vendor added the extra page to your booklet, it pushed the page count to 5 pages. Since the number of pages must be divisible by 4, three additional pages were added to equal eight interior pages.

Our Global Print Manager has contacted the vendor. They are in agreement that the extra page with the barcode should not be added to saddle-stitch formats. Someone will be responding to your support case shortly.

As you can see, print cases often require a bit more work to track down and correct the issue. But, we thank you for reporting the problem so that we can work with our vendors to correct it.

• Thanks for the update Glenn, appreciate knowing why these things happen as well as solutions, cheers for that. Christopher

• My book 'The Tale of Thomas Thixendale' contains 96 pages including the required full blank page (2 sides) at front and one of 2 sides at back ie. 91 text, 2 blank ( not numbered) at front and 3 blank at back (page 94 and others no number). Printer added a further 8 pages - which would stop the book being accepted for GLOBALREACH, which we planned was now ready for distribution . The spine width allows the title and authors' names.

The bar code on the last page is #0071-170216-CO-210/148/6--PB DID1362593.

My ID: 16659678

I am aware of the divisible by 4 rule, having been published before, hence creating the book to total 96 pages.  I was expecting any additional barcodes etc by the printer would be on the back of my blank page already accounted for.  Should I, therefore, submit 94 pages?

• As far as I am aware, no text is added to the contents, and that does not look like any barcode I have seen, was there an actual barcode or just those digits? It's certainly does not look like an ISBN. The people you should be asking about this is Lulu via Support.

• Sandmouse

There is a barcode.  Previous replies on Community did refer to this happening (adding pages) with a French printer, but the envelope it came in had Royal Mail stamped on it.

I will repeat my question to Lulu Support, thanks.

There is a barcode.  Previous replies on Community did refer to this happening (adding pages)

Yes that is reported a few times, but I have not seen anyone say a barcode has been added to the insides. or anything printed on the pages that should not be there.

with a French printer, but the envelope it came in had Royal Mail stamped on it.

Royal Mail operates world-wide.