One-Piece (Wraparound) Cover Dimensions

Trying to make a one-piece cover.  My cover for a genealogy book is a collage of pictures, with some text boxes strategically placed for title, author, and a description on the back.  Couldn't figure out how to do this with the cover creators, so I am doing my own.  Just want to confirm the meaning of the dimensions.

The "live" area width for my 6x9 case wrap book is 5.321x8.75, but the trim area is 6.125x9.25.

(BTW, trying to read the blue printing on the gray background of the templates, is virtually impossible!)

So if I understand what this means, I should not put any pictures or text between these two sizes, but that area may show, so I need something there, just not meaningful.  

But if I read these dimensions correctly, that is .5 inch on the top and bottom (not too bad), but an entire .894 on each edge.  That's almost an inch of dead space.  Text is not an issue because my title is centered, but if I put a picture, I better be prepared to have it lopped off, correct?  This just seems like a large band of space.  I thought the trim was within .125.

I was hoping to use that inch on the front and back for pictures.  I've attached a poorly formatted copy of what I am trying to do, but it might give you the idea.

Perhaps a border around the collage in the live area, and then a background color all the way out to the bleed?

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

I suppose your pictures are repeated inside the book, and that you don't count on the cover to show them at their best. In that case they are only a background to your title on the cover. Why not make a more fanciful cover picture (some photos closer while others are in the background, suggesting a remote past in a sort of 3D presentation), and let your collage spread all over the cover, with part of these pictures wrapped in at the edges?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Did you try the One-Piece Cover Wizard? It sounds as if you did not, so I will ask >> do you require an image on the spine? Do you want the front image to go over the spine and on to the back? Do you want a dustcover?

If not, just use the normal Cover Wizard to which you can upload a full cover image for the front and one for the back, and match the spine colour to suit and play around with the text on the spine with the spine text tool.

• Hello Jimbo435

No worries!

With case wrap books part of the cover will be wrapped around the top, bottom, and outer edge of the book. Hence the extra dead space. If you keep your important information (title, author name, etc) in the safe zone, you can be assured it will not be trimmed or wrapped.

And, we apologize for the grey background. But, if you overlay the template onto your book cover design, the gray background is actually clear - allowing you to see the safe zone. Don't forget to remove the overlay before you upload your image.

Indeed, I for one always stay well away from the edges, and just as an extra precaution I also colour the background in the Wizard to match the edges of the images I cover it with.

• Here is what I am saying.  Just got this ad from LULU today.  see attached picture.  How did they get the cyber hand to extend to the top right corner, and not a white or other color border.  They needed to know where the top cut would be, and where the fold would come.  There is no .894 border.  Look how close the word Alice is to the right edge of the cover.  Again, no .894 border.  If these pros can get their covers to look like this, why can't I?  Guess I need to just do it by trial and error, blowing $20 on samples each time?

Just make your cover art bigger than the cover. The Wizard tempates show the area that will be folded in the case of hardbacked books and trimmed in the case of paperbacked books. You do not have to keep ordering Proofs to see that.

This is the 'basic' Wizard >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Video-Tutorials/One-Minute-Video-on-How-to-Create-a-Book-Cover/ta-p/31792

As you can see, it shows a dotted line around the 'face' of the covers.

• Hello Jimbo

The book you provided as an example appears to be a dust jacket, hard cover. You can create this yourself using the dimensions provided in the one-piece cover wizard or use the dust jacket cover wizard templates which allow you to drag and drop images into the template.

• Here is a one-piece template I made using LuLu's four part template. The dimensions are spot on.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

Why post the empty template twice, and not what you have created?

Perhaps only "spot on" for a 6 x 9? But actually it depends on the page count also.