Printing a color map inside the cover page

Hi, this is my first time using Lulu's services, and I noticed fairly limiting, though common, options.

I am preparing to print a book through you, and would like to include a color map on the inside of the cover when it is first opened (such as one that spans the entire "end paper" in the front of the book.

I understand this is more of a specialty request, and was wondering if it is possible and what kind of pricing that might entail. The rest of the book is B&W.

Thanks.

Comments

• At this time, we are unable to print inside book covers.

I am not aware of another print on demand service that can do this type of work, but maybe someone in the community can point you in the right direction.

• Ok, thank you for that information.

In which case, is it possible to include 1 color page in an otherwise B&W book? If so, can this page be full bleed or will there need to be a margin on it?

Thanks.

• You are asking all the right questions!

Currently if you want a book to include color, the entire book must be printed on color paper, which can be quite expensive for a novel.

We are working with one of our print vendors to provide color inserts, but I cannot provide any estimate for when this would be available.

• For the moment, you can only include a black-and-white map spread over two pages facing each other (even + odd), and placed after the copyright page or anywhere else inside the book.

Maps do not look too bad in black and white. See pages 16-17 in my:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jean-paul-g-potet/arabic-and-persian-loanwords-in-tagalog/paperback/product-21079884.html

• Colour inserts in an otherwise B&W book would a wonderful addition to Llulu's services.

James
  • Indeed
  • Indeed, many books, even novels, have B & W maps within them and look nontheworse for it. Usually they are just line drawings because at times they don't look well in many shades of grey.

Here's an example >>  image

• Thank you so much for the guidance! I will probably end up doing a B&W map. I've had some experience with printing and hand-binding books, so I've gotten the feel for parts of the process.

With a B&W map, will it need to have margins or is it possible for that to be full bleed? Also, if I were to span it across 2 pages, is there any template or size/margin specifications on that as there is in the cover? I am guessing it will likely be similar margins to the Word template provided.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

• The important point is that the two halves of the map should face each other; so the left half has to be on an even page while the right half has to be on an odd page.

Full bleed is always possible. Now I wonder if it is allowed on two pages only while the rest of the book is not full bleed.

• Thank you so much for the guidance! I will probably end up doing a B&W map. I've had some experience with printing and hand-binding books, so I've gotten the feel for parts of the process.

But was that with POD created books? They are not bound or trimmed in exactly the same manner as mass-produced books.

With a B&W map, will it need to have margins or is it possible for that to be full bleed?

If you use Sections in Word even each page can have different settings. It does depend on book size and shape and how big you want the map to be if you need full-bleed or not. Images can be flipped sideways instead.

Also, if I were to span it across 2 pages, is there any template or size/margin specifications on that as there is in the cover? I am guessing it will likely be similar margins to the Word template provided.

To be honest we often recommend not to use the templates because even with them you will have to change many of the defaults and by the time you have learned how to you could have created your own template Smiley Happy

I have never used full-bleed but I would assume that an odd page has to have no margin on the left and the facing page no margin on the right.

These are Lulu's instructions though >>> http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/How-do-I-make-my-content-stretch-all-the-way-to-the-edge-of-the/ta-p/33675

• I think that answers all of my questions!

I actually didn't use a POD service. I printed the pages at a local print store and used a tutorial to make the book myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQJvVlWYqc

It was an interesting experience, but ultimately too time consuming for large quantities.

• Hello, Glenn - I came to the Knowledge Base seeking an answer to this question of having just one or two pages in an otherwise black-and-white printed book be color. Your response indicating this possibility was being looked into with one of your print vendors is from three years ago. Has this option been worked out in the meantime? My student would love to be able to print his novel with the map in color, but we don't have the funds to do all the books in full-color pricing. Thank you in advance. Tamara

• thethinkteacher a écrit :
    My student would love to be able to print his novel with the map in color, but we don't have the funds to do all the books in full-color pricing.

You can't. Either the full book is regarded as color, even if the text is in B&W, or all the pictures will be in B&W.

The best solution in your case is to display the color map on the back cover. It will be in color, and it won't cost you any cent more than the regular price.