Image sizing issues

Hey they everyone, I running into an issue while trying to make a photo book through Lulu and was wondering if I could get a hand. 

With the cover image of the book I first brought an image in and was given a warning sign. This warning states that some parts of my image may not appear clear, that I should choose a differnt image and a different image frame. This warrning was understandble as the image appears way to larg for the fram of the cover. After I removed the image from the book I looked at the recomended size for that frame. The recommended size is 9.13" x 3.61" or 2738 x 1083 pixels at 300 dpi. In to photoshop I go now to edit my image down to size to fit onto the cover. Low and behold though that when I view the image size, the image it at 1539 pixels by 1040 pixels at 300 dpi.

My question is, why does my image appear to be incredibly large and to big for the frame? When in fact it is smaller then the recomendations that are appearing in the frame from lulu's book studio. On top of all this I tried resizing it anyway and took it down quite a lot actually. I brought it down to about 1100 pixels by around 800 so this time sigifigantly smaller then the recomendations and the issue still occured. In fact it hardly made any difference if even any at all. 

Can anyone please lend me a hand with under standing the sizing specifics for the photo books?

Comments

• Does it appear too large only in Photoshop? I made several photo books a while back . They took high res. images and resized them to fit the frames. So, just follow their instructions to the T and preview your book at the end.

• It just appears large inside the the template window. I think what the issue is, is that lulu's studio is auto resizing my image to fill the space and since it constrains proportions it blows the enitre image up making it look huge.

I think ill just have to re size every image and make sure it can fit into the layout that I use for that page. 

• The best way to prepare images for Lulu Studio is to take note of the recommended image sizes in pixels, and prepare the images to exactly those dimensions. If the warning says some parts of my image may not appear clear, it indicates that the image is too small (in pixels) for the frame and thus the resolution is too low to get a good quality print. If the recommended size is 2738 x 1083 pixels and your image is only 1539 x 1040 pixels, that is the error you would expect.

Resizing the image down to even smaller pixel numbers only makes the resolution worse, so I'm not surprised you're getting the same error again with the 1100 x 800 pixels. You have to go the opposite direction. Do you have a higher resolution (larger pixel numbers) version of the image? If so, try to redo the image from the largest version you have. It's fine to have higher pixel numbers than the recommended size, but resolution suffers if you go lower.

As for why does the image appear larger: Lulu Studio zooms in on smaller images to fill the available frame, but it will give you that error message when zooming results in low resolution. In your case, there is a mismatch between the ratios as well: the image frame is about 5 : 2, but the image you're trying to fit into it is about 3 : 2. That will result in parts of the image being cut off as Lulu Studio tries to stretch it to fill the frame.

If you don't have a larger image to recrop to the correct dimensions and pixel numbers, there are two ways to fix this: 1) choose a layout with a smaller image frame in roughly 3 : 2 ratio, or 2) rework your image to the size of Lulu's image frame in your photo editing software of choice, e.g. by adding a border around the image to bring it up to the recommended size, then upload your image including the border.

• Sorry to be dense but if I choose the 13.5 x 19 inch calendar, do those dimensions take in the entire calendar (including dates) or is that purely the image size?  I tried uploading an image and was rewarded with an orange triangle. I'd be grateful if someone could give me the accurate image dimension in pixels for that particular calendar.  Thanks Su

• Sorry to be dense but if I choose the 13.5 x 19 inch calendar, do those dimensions take in the entire calendar (including dates) or is that purely the image size?

That's the entire size.

I tried uploading an image and was rewarded with an orange triangle.

At times that can mean that the image is too low a resolution, or yes, too small to enlarge to fit the frame, or even the wrong file type.

I'd be grateful if someone could give me the accurate image dimension in pixels for that particular calendar.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Calendars-Images/tkb-p/ls_images%40tkb

• This was very helpful - thank you. However, I have tried taking my iPhone photo's that are about 750 MP's and adding a higher res border to them. But when saved together - the high res board MP's don't see to get added to the photo so I have the same issue. Any other ideas? 

Thanls

JW