ISBN image

Dear Sir,

I have 2 questions about the ISBN.

1. On my draft project I am working on, I have downloaded the ISBN .pdf file. However, since I am using a full cover image made by myself, I need to have the ISBN barcode in .jpg, .png, .gift, or .bmp format, so I can copy, resize, and then paste it into my back cover image. From where can I download the ISBN barcode in .png format? Or at least convert the .pdf file into image format.

2. I have also noticed that during the project creation process LULU assigns you the ISBN number before you upload the book and cover files. For testing purposes, I am currently using a temporary 100-page book file on my draft project, however, I have already been assigned an ISBN number by LULU. Will I need a new ISBN when I upload the definitive 280 page book file and book cover? Or can I use testing files as long as the project is an unpublished draft?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• bastion wrote:

Dear Sir,

1. On my draft project I am working on, I have downloaded the ISBN .pdf file. However, since I am using a full cover image made by myself, I need to have the ISBN barcode in .jpg, .png, .gift, or .bmp format, so I can copy, resize, and then paste it into my back cover image. From where can I download the ISBN barcode in .png format? Or at least convert the .pdf file into image format.

Go to http://bookow.com/resources.php and enter the ISBN and it will generate a barcode in png format

2. I have also noticed that during the project creation process LULU assigns you the ISBN number before you upload the book and cover files. For testing purposes, I am currently using a temporary 100-page book file on my draft project, however, I have already been assigned an ISBN number by LULU. Will I need a new ISBN when I upload the definitive 280 page book file and book cover? Or can I use testing files as long as the project is an unpublished draft?

You can keep midofuying it as manytimes as you want while in draft with the same ISBN. It's only after publication that major changes need an new ISBN

• Thanks!

I noticed that the size proportions of the  barcode generated from the link you provided is different than what LULU provides.

While I was waiting for your reply, I remembered I used the following link to generate a barcode a couple of years ago:

http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/

However, the link says the Barcode generator is temporarily down!! Smiley Sad

• bastion wrote: :

Yes, which is why I used the suggested link to create the bar code for my own book.

The owner of the tux.org site  told me that it will be a few weeks before his routine is working again

• Oh, I see.

OK, thanks for the news!

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

bastion a écrit :

.jpg, .png, .gift, or .bmp format, so I can copy, resize, and then paste it into my back cover image. From where can I download the ISBN barcode in .png format? Or at least convert the .pdf file into image format.

If I were you, I'd make a JPG screen capture of the PDF image, and paste the photo on my back cover. In Photoshop and its emulators, you can give your picture the exact dimensions required for ISBN bar codes, if what you've captured isn't already in the proper dimensions.
    I use SNAGIT for my screen captures.

You can also open your PDF in Photoshop, and select the bar code.

• Oh yes, a screen capture is an option too. Smiley Happy

• bastion wrote:

Thanks!

I noticed that the size proportions of the  ISBN barcode generated from the link you provided is different than what LULU provides.

While I was waiting for your reply, I remembered I used the following link to generate a barcode a couple of years ago:

Sorry, I just have one question that where can I found the size proportions that LULU has set for barcode? By the way, is there any specific reasons that you do not use other online barcode generators?Man Surprised

•  

welkhanson wrote:

Sorry, I just have one question that where can I found the size proportions that LULU has set for barcode? By the way, is there any specific reasons that you do not use other online barcode generators?Man Surprised

I make that two questions Smiley Happy

1) Create a project and enter your ISBN in it then Lulu will generate a barcode

2) No. When I found the first one was unavailable I googled for another. You want one that you can download as a JPG or PNG, you want one that will create a barcode with the correct placing of dashes and you want one that can put the five digit 90000 price code. The ones mentioned do. No doubt many others can also.

But there have been people on this forum in the past that have paid serious money to sites to generate them a bar code - hence giving the links to free providers.

If you find a good one then please do post its details.

• bastion wrote:

Dear Sir,

1. On my draft project I am working on, I have downloaded the ISBN .pdf file. However, since I am using a full cover image made by myself, I need to have the ISBN barcode in .jpg, .png, .gift, or .bmp format, so I can copy, resize, and then paste it into my back cover image. From where can I download the ISBN barcode in .png format? Or at least convert the .pdf file into image format.

Thank you for your time.

Hi, bastion.

Have you worked it out?