revising "make print ready files" error problem

While revising my book I deleted all of my old pages and finished uploading all of the new pages and want to go to the next step so clicked "make print ready files" but it wont let me move forward and I get this error message:

"Hmmm… we’re sorry, but we can’t accept more than 100 files at a time. Please reduce your submission to 100 files or less."

In the old version of the book I had 201 pages, now I have 102, condensed the book with the same content but with half the pages to get the price dowwn, I don't remember having this problem the first time I made the book or ever when fixing a page here and there before.

What am I doing wrong? I thought the next step would be it asking me if my old cover was fine or if it needed to be replaced and I'd be done.

Another question.

I am using a free lulu isbn number, it says to put on my copyright page, is that going to be on the back of a title page I create or does lulu creat the title page automatically? I can't remember from the first time 7 years ago.

Thank you

Comments

•  Just curious. Why do you have to upload so many files? Can't you make a single PDF file of your book?

P.S. You have to type the ISBN on your copyright page (at the back of the full title page) while Lulu prints it and its bar code on the back cover.

• The error message says it can't work with more than 100 files at one time.

So, how about removing some of the files so there are fewer than 100. and make a print ready file. Then go back and remove those the files from the project and add the just made print ready file that contains them to your project from 'My Files'. Now make a new print ready file from the remaining files and the existing print ready file,

I am assuming the reason you have so many files is that they are graphics

ISBN: Youneed to put the ISBN on the copyrightpage which follows the title page - justthe number, not the bar code, e.g.

ISBN: 978-123-45678-9-0

Lulu will add the ISBN barcode to the back cover - unless you are making a one-piece cover in which you'll have to add the barcode to your one piece cover.

• Peter May a écrit :

So, how about removing some of the files so there are fewer than 100. and make a print ready file. Then go back and remove those the files from the project and add the just made print ready file that contains them to your project from 'My Files'. Now make a new print ready file from the remaining files and the existing print ready file, 

I'd never have a hundred files plus, but this is certainly a very convenient solution.

• Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

I'm not using a template, each file is one page. That's how I did it 7 years ago for the original book and it worked uploading 201 pages, I don't know how to do it any other way.

I will try removing some files then adding them later.

Thank you and I'll add the results to this thread. I did email lulu but no response yet.

• finderskeypurs a écrit :

each file is one page

Just curious. Is each file a picture file?

• finderskeypurs wrote:

Thank you and I'll add the results to this thread. I did email lulu but no response yet.

I'm puzzled what  you expect the overloaded support section to say other than what the error message clearly states?

• Each file is a page and each page has 4 photos and some text.
    How do other people do it? I've always uploaded a file per page......
  • Create it as one file of pages in Word. Upload the Docx, or with pages full of images it may be best to use Word to Save As a PDF and upload that.

Each file is a page and each page has 4 photos and some text.

Things are clear enough now. You are making an illustrated book at the rate of four pictures per page. Yes, due to the photos, each page is heavy, but this should not prevent you from collecting them by sections / chapters that would not exceed 300Mo each.

Recently I privately published  the correspondence on postcards between my grand-parents during WWI (1914-1918). I reproduced the recto and the verso of the postcards on even pages and my transcriptions and comments on the corresponding odd pages.

The book has 204 pages, about 80 of them have pictures. The whole file weighs 145Mo, but its PDF only weighs 58Mo. I had no problem uploading the PDF to Lulu.

• Ok, what if I remove 3 or 4 files, upload 100 files, then can I go back to that step later and add some pages or is will I have the same problem?
    I understand using windows, making less files to upload, and thank you all for that solution.
  • 07 lap top doesn't have windows and it's $110 to buy a version that will work on it.

Is there a program lulu offers that will work as word will to combine may pages to

have less files to upload?

I still don't understand why it used to let me upload as many as 201 pages, for my first version

of the book.................................when I went to revise there were 201 files sitting on the page that

had been uploaded, not in my files, on the upload page.............

Thanks

• Ok, what if I remove 3 or 4 files, upload 100 files, then can I go back to that step later and add some pages or is will I have the same problem?

It's still the same number of files in total.

I understand using windows, making less files to upload, and thank you all for that solution.

Just make sure you then don't exceed the MB upload level. Make sure that your images fit exactly between the margins fort a start before you add them to the pages. Don't use Word to resize them.

• 07 lap top doesn't have windows and it's $110 to buy a version that will work on it.

What OS are you using then? Is it a Mac? Or do you mean you don't have Word?

Is there a program lulu offers that will work as word will to combine may pages to have less files to upload?

Lulu do not provide any tools of that nature, they expect people to create the files required for the Wizards on software people already have.

Try this >>  https://www.openoffice.org/

I still don't understand why it used to let me upload as many as 201 pages, for my first version

of the book.................................when I went to revise there were 201 files sitting on the page that had been uploaded, not in my files, on the upload page.............

I don't know that either, as far as I know the limit has not changed.

•  

Have you tried my work-around I posted Wednesday?

• Peter May a écrit : 

Have you tried my work-around I posted Wednesday?

Peter, good pieces of advice like yours, are read and quickly forgotten by some, instead of being immediately applied. Human nature!

• Some people make it hard work for themselves. If they spent more time learning how to do it in one file they could save countless hours fighting with far more files than Lulu allows. If it says 100 max, that's what it means Smiley Happy

• I have Microsoft Word now, so going to try to lower the amount of files I'm going to upload.

I'll post here what happens and if I'm successful.

Still word from lulu, I suppose I would have gotten the same information.

Thank you

• I doubt Lulu Help would have said the same things because they assume all the help you need is on their site, and that they expect you to know how to use the tools you need to use to create what Lulu's Project Wizards will accept, because Word is a common tool that many people use that have not even heard of Lulu, so there's little Help about how to use software like Word, apart from how to set up the pages for use by Lulu's Wizards, within one file. Smiley Happy

Many of us know how to use Word though.

Good luck. 

• Jean-Paul, I haven't tried your work around yet. I will. Lulu said it should be one file, to put all the pages together in Word, so what a lot of you said.
    I'm sorry everyone, for having such a simple problem that I shouldn't have, its just that this is different than it was 7 years ago. Lulu did say they lowered their upload limit to 100 files, the first time 7 years ago I had 201 files and don't remember having to ask for help with this part, it just took forever to upload via DSL modem.
    Thanks for all your help.

Jean-Paul, I haven't tried your work around yet. I will. Lulu said it should be one file, to put all the pages together in Word, so what a lot of you said.

Peter, Kevin and I gave you all the solutions. It's now up to you to pick your choice. If you have already uploaded a lot of files, the best is to continue with batches of less than 100 files.

By the way, how long does it take to upload, say, 99 files of yours to Lulu? It must take donkey's ears. Smiley LOL

I suppose you know that large PDF files are best uploaded through an FTP intermediary. I use SMARTFTP recommended by Lulu. When I use it, the file ends up in the Lulu "my files" folder.

In the Lulu book-making process, when I reach the stage where the text file should be uploaded, I merely go to "my files" at the top of the Lulu screen page, and select my file in my list. This file is immediately placed in the project, and on we pass to the cover-making stage. 

I can assure you all this is very easy; in my case, it takes at most half an hour to convert a text file into PDF, have it transmitted by SMARTFTP, and receive it in Lulu's "my files".

• OK, I too am having the same problem, I too have had over 225 pages (files) in a book and never had to break it down into 100 file increments.  Mine are usually filled with photos, graphics, and text. Whey would the system indicate that for the size book I am crteating that it can have 24 to 800 pages and then have me break that down to 100 files? Instructions in a step by step process at point of creating not on drop down menu needs to be established for thei new feature. Seems the system has also changed in accessing your project once you have started it. You now have to go back to the origninal what size book do you want, color or b&w, and cover selection, then on to title, etc. before being able to access from "my projects" page. LULU used to be extremely user friendly, not now in the past month. What was the upgrade that took place a couple of weekends ago? that's when I started experiencing the problem.

• Breaking it in to the max 100 files is one way of getting around the max file size the Wizard allows. One does have to ask why just 225 pages exceeds the rather large max file size allowable though.

As to the rest oif what you say, I don't understand what you mean, but this may help >>  http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Print-and-eBooks/tkbc-p/forums_kb

and this >>>   http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Publishing-Process/How-can-I-upload-large-files-more-quickly-and-easily-Can-I/ta-p/33466