Cannot convert my project to print-ready file

This is revision 9 of my project with six .doc files, not updated for a year, same software at my end.

I've downloaded the uploaded files and they are OK.

I've attempted to make the print ready file about 50 times and all attempts failed except once.  That one time some of the images were marked as 'X' and some other random errors too.

I force the creation of a new print-ready file by re-arranging the order of my uploaded files then putting them back in the correct order.  Although I have uploaded a complete new set several times too (I've spent 15 hours on this!)

It is still failing.  Any ideas why please?

Comments

• My idea:

Take your original file, click on image, "save as" each picture as a jpeg. Reinsert all pictures in your document.

• That is very kind of you to reply.

However, the images are already .jpg and are inserted into the documents as pictures (word hates raw jpg).

My latest plan is to condense my 6 docs into 3 and try that.

• potetjppotetjp Professor Professor

The best is such cases is to cancel the project and start a new one.

Have you tried uploading PDF files instead of  wordprocessor ones (MS-Word, OpenOffice, WordfPerfect, etc.)? PDF files are quickly processed by Lulu.

After you renamed your files to make it possible for the system to place them in the right order, did you erase the old ones on Lulu before uploading the new ones?

You don't say how many pages your book has. Is the total of your pages within the bracket allowed by the format you have selected?

If you had to spend 15 hours uploading your files, I suspect they are very large. Perhaps you should consider two or three volumes instead of a single one.

• Thank you for your reply.

1. I'll try PDF as a last resort - have you seen the list of instructions one has to follow?  It's enormous.

2. I've tried erasing and re-loading the files.  Usually I just drag the files into a different order and then back again.  That fools the system into thinking there are new files.

3. The book has around 400 pages.

4. I'm not sure how to do a 2 volume project and that would be a good solution though the price of the 2 books would doubtless be more than 1.  The 15 hours was spent loading, failing, re-loading, failing, downloading, failing, etc.

5. I've joined the files into 3 and uploaded them last night.  I'll try again now on the assumption that most of the US is asleep and the servers will be less loaded.  The conversion did actually work once (although with errors in the pdf) so it is possible.

6. I'll also try cancelling the revision to the project and starting agin - that's simple (this is revision 9).

UBooks a écrit :

Thank you for your reply.

You are welcome.

1. I'll try PDF as a last resort - have you seen the list of instructions one has to follow?  It's enormous.

I don't see what you mean. I have a simple PDF converter called "PDF995". It converts an average WordPerfect file (or from any other wordprocessor) in a couple of minutes. All my Lulu books have been uploaded in this format. 

2. I've tried erasing and re-loading the files.  Usually I just drag the files into a different order and then back again.  That fools the system into thinking there are new files.

If I were you, I wouldn't do that. Just give your original files on your computer names that place them automatically in the correct order. Cancel your current project on Lulu, and start a new one.

3. The book has around 400 pages.

400 pages is no problem. I hope your original files are in the format you have chosen for your printed book. For instance if you have opted for 6x9", your original pages have to be 6x9".

4. I'm not sure how to do a 2 volume project and that would be a good solution though the price of the 2 books would doubtless be more than 1.  The 15 hours was spent loading, failing, re-loading, failing, downloading, failing, etc.

No, you needn't. I thought you had a thousand pages or over.

5. I've joined the files into 3 and uploaded them last night.  I'll try again now on the assumption that most of the US is asleep and the servers will be less loaded.  The conversion did actually work once (although with errors in the pdf) so it is possible.

6. I'll also try cancelling the revision to the project and starting agin - that's simple (this is revision 9).*

Keep us informed.

Best Smiley Happy
  • Success!!  At last!

The lulu pdf converter is rubbish and one should upload your own pdfs.  It's really easy*.  I downloaded and used the doPDF tool to convert my .doc files.    

It's just so hard with a creaky computer, slow internet and 450 Mbyte of files to process...

cheers, UBooks.

*The upload page has a link to a How to Create a PDF page.  This has loads of advice including 16 bullet points of technical gubbins.  Ignore all of that apart from embed your fonts, I think, and you'll be fine.  The help pages on lulu here are fairly lame sometimes and in this case really bad.

Further. When one reads the help pages they talk about uploading your files (plural) to create a pdf (singular).  It then says you can upload a pdf as a preferred format (singular).  Little confused me then thinks that one has to create a single pdf to upload.

More.  The help pages say that files unattached to a project will be kept for 21 days or so before being deleted.  Yet I uploaded files, deleted the project and found that the files had gone too !!   1.5 hours of upload.  Double Bah!!

Even more.  I've spent 20 hours doing this.  2 of which was spend retrieving the fragments of my monitor from the carpark outside my study window and taping boards to the gaping hole in such.  It's lucky no adults were hurt from the flying glass!

Finally.  My wife has just left me for her mother saying that the shivering wreckage of frustration that used to be her lover should drown himself in the nearest pond.

The end.

Thanks to potetip.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

Success!!  At last!

Well done. Smiley Happy

The lulu pdf converter is rubbish and one should upload your own pdfs.  It's really easy*.  I downloaded and used the doPDF tool to convert my .doc files.  

I have had no problems with it, But you do have to use the 'right' type of PDF, and if you are using 'non-Lulu standard' fonts you have to embed them (possibly the main reason for using a PDF). I only use Garamond however. Word can Save As PDF anyway.

It's just so hard with a creaky computer, slow internet and 450 Mbyte of files to process...

Indeed. Lulu's servers can even Time Out when your use of the Wizards are 'too slow'. Did you say you have 400 pages? That's a high MB per page and if I was you I would look in to seeing if it can be reduced.

cheers, UBooks.

*The upload page has a link to a How to Create a PDF page.  This has loads of advice including 16 bullet points of technical gubbins.  Ignore all of that apart from embed your fonts, I think, and you'll be fine.  The help pages on lulu here are fairly lame sometimes and in this case really bad.

But a PDF converter should convert what ever is on the pages it's converting. I know Save As does in Word. Lulu assumes people know how to create the files they need to create. Lulu does have some advice, but it's not a Help site for other partys' software.

Further. When one reads the help pages they talk about uploading your files (plural) to create a pdf (singular).  It then says you can upload a pdf as a preferred format (singular).  Little confused me then thinks that one has to create a single pdf to upload.

All it's saying is you can do one or the other. 1 file or a few files. Even a few PDF files I am told. But there are are also the files needed to upload to the Cover Wizard.

More.  The help pages say that files unattached to a project will be kept for 21 days or so before being deleted.  Yet I uploaded files, deleted the project and found that the files had gone too !!   1.5 hours of upload.  Double Bah!!

It means within your My Files area. However, I would assume if you have any Projects still in Revise that you delete, they may not be also in My Files. Have you looked there?

Even more.  I've spent 20 hours doing this.  2 of which was spend retrieving the fragments of my monitor from the carpark outside my study window and taping boards to the gaping hole in such.  It's lucky no adults were hurt from the flying glass!

Is that all? Welcome to DIY publishing? Smiley Happy

Finally.  My wife has just left me for her mother saying that the shivering wreckage of frustration that used to be her lover should drown himself in the nearest pond.

Perhaps she could write and publish a book about it? Smiley Very Happy

Good.

By the way, if your PDF file is large, Lulu advises you to use an FTP program to upload it. I bought SmartFTP, and used it for two books.

You have to do the upload by FTP  before you start your project. The file ends up in your list of files on Lulu. When you reach the upload stage in the project, you just go into "my files" (thumbnail) at the top of the upload page, and select the file you need.

Then it's plain sailing as usual.

P.S. Violence against one's computer only worsens the problem. Smiley LOL

• I had the same problems a few years ago when I started publishing.
    It sounds as if your Embedded settings are not sorting it out. When you save to PDF Format , on the bottom it will have ISO make sure it has a Tick inside the box . This will help the system accept it..
    I also use Garmond Fonts on all my publishing.
    Regards,
    Dave
  • For my book project I have 39 separate pdf files that allow for a bleed. My book size is 8.25  10.75. So my files are all set up for the bleed at 8.5x11. However the bleed is not happening and I have been told by "support" that I need to put all my pdfs into ONE pdf file. Which I don't understand. Or reload my pdf's in a "print ready pdf" format. What the heck?! After a few more emails sent to customer support in total confusion on where to find this "print ready pf" format, I am still scratching me head. I haven't gotten a respone. Not holding my breath either. Can anyone point me in the right direction. FInding this all such a nightmare. 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

You need to post this as a New Message.