Pay for publishing?

I published and I tought i had to pay for it. However I only need to pay if I am buying a book. Is this normal?

Thank You

Comments

• Yes it's normal.

You only need to pay for a proof copy if you would like distribution. Or for formatting, cover design, and illustration Lulu Services, if you need any of those.

• I would not call it 'normal' because many self-publishing sites will charge you to use their services, for ISBNs, Distribution, etc etc, whereas at Lulu you can DIY for free, with free ISBNs and Dist, and only pay for 1 Proof to Approve if you are happy with the Proof.

Oh, you do not have to do either if you have no ISBN and do not want Dist, but you do want a copy of your own book I would have thought, so you have to buy one, but at cost price only.

Lulu do offer paid for services, but they are for those who cannot DIY them, and can afford them.

• Your English is rather obscure. Perhaps you mean you are pleasantly surprised to have to buy a single copy of your book to be published by Lulu, instead of thousands by vanity publishers.  Smiley Happy

• It's normal the OP is pleasantly surprised? Smiley Happy

• Thank you. I was almost worried

JasmIllustrator wrote:

Yes it's normal.

You only need to pay for a proof copy if you would like distribution. Or for formatting, cover design, and illustration Lulu Services, if you need any of those.