Post helpful marketing/promotion tips here

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    The enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights in a particular country is the responsibility of the country in question. As such, the actions of a Chinese national without diplomatic immunity, living in a country other than China, would fall under the jurisdiction practiced by the country of residence. The authorities in the US do prosecute violations of IPR when the perpetrators reside in the US.

Enforcement of IPR in China is more problematic due to the size of both the country and its population and the fact that regional authorities are more concerned with hitting economic targets with little funding left over to investigate infringement claims.

While Chinese authorities are beginning to take the infringement of foreign copyrights and patents more seriously, with a population of 1.4 billion people change is slow.
    Maggie said:
    So only the Chinese in China rip people off? How about the Chinese in Canada? Or the US. I bet there are millions. Are they going to rip my book off? Let them have it. Distribute widely please. India, China, the world.

• I don't know why you posted all that.  It sounds racist to be afraid to distribute to China and India. The younger distributors are doing it. Lulu should do it too. That is my message. What is yours? Nevermind, I got it; let's exclude two whole groups of people lest they do the bad thing and read our books for free.

• I think using the R word is a strong thing to say to someone and uncalled for.  I think the word is to err on the side of caution.  You worked hard for your book snd yes while you wwant  it to be distributed and made known to the wworld you wrote it, others could take what u wrote and claim it for themselves.  They will begin to undercut your profit and even claim the work to be theirs.  Who know what your work could turn into, and turn big time money into the hands of those who took you work unbeknowing to you.

I think the general statement here is be forwarned and know what may possibly happen (not fully saying that it will).  It's the Once bitten, twice shy.  Those who post here, speak out of years of experience and are not novice to this game.  You don't have to agree or do (or don't do) what they suggest, so no need to be disgruntled.

Happy writings
  • MaggieMaggie Author
    edited February 21
    Several years ago we had a poster who called another poster "a brown person," and persisted to pick on him. Because I was then feeding six creatures, both human and animal, I didn't have  the courage to call the person out publicly; he was vindictive and dangerous to my ability to earn a living. Instead I wrote to every lulu staff member whose email I had, including Mr. Bob Young.

Still, I wish I could go back in time and defend the underdog. A hint of "racism" is too much. Being afraid to distribute to the Chinese or Indians may or may not be racist. But it feels like it. It gives one that creepy feeling of it's wrong.

And thank you for the lecture. I believe I have been here longer than the previous poster. I have plenty of experience.

I'm not afraid to distribute to China or India -- I'm simply aware of cultural reasons behind why some individuals in those countries may not respect Western copyrights and choose not to play.

I've also had personal experience with someone offering to burn a cross on my lawn or inflict harm upon my offspring due to my ancestry.
  • Streetlib is using the online library lending system. You get paid times ten. They are launching an office in India and taking the trouble of translating the site in all the dialects. They also sent an email announcing ebook distribution via Baker and Taylor. The following week they sent an announcement stating they were thrilled Iran is allowing authors to distribute books around the world.
    I think this is all good news. I am simply suggesting lulu do the same. Expand distribution even more. Include everyone.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    The point is, the authorities in some Asian countries do not take copyright and even trademarks, seriously. It's not about a race of people no matter where they live, it's about how the country they are in police what they do. What everyone in their country do.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Every single movie or tv series or song ends up on sites like openload, watchfree, piratebay, putlockers, onitube, and a slew of others. There are thousands of epubs of well known books uploaded free daily. It has nothing to do with governments or countries. It's the nature of people.

Countries have the ability to remove the sites, and fine them often $millions, but some countries do and some do not. (Although the same countries that do not are often very fast at blocking western social media sites.)

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• CNPereading I believe the system is called and includes thousands of Chinese libraries.
    https://medium.com/streetlib/announcement

I would love it if lulu could find a way to distribute print and ebooks similarly to Chinese libraries.

You might want to engage an attorney in China in order to do that.
  • Perhaps. Or just an agreement with book distributors there.

Incidentally, China has copyright laws as do 99% of the countries. Attaching document with countries and their copyright.

I'm aware China is a signatory to international treaties regarding copyrights and Intellectual Property Rights.

I am also aware that China is aware it needs to better enact enforcement of same, since even the writings of Mao were hijacked.

My last beta-reader in China also stated in order to do anything you needed to go through a state-sanctioned attorney who would serve as intermediary between you and the government; otherwise enforcing an agreement would be extremely difficult.

But since I've been labeled a racist luddite whose opinion doesn't matter because he hasn't been on the site as long, do as you will.
    Maggie said:
    Perhaps. Or just an agreement with book distributors there.

Incidentally, China has copyright laws as do 99% of the countries. Attaching document with countries and their copyright.

• MaggieMaggie Author
    edited February 23
    I'm trying to help you and JN, Cameron. Read between the lines instead of trying to win an argument.
    Or shall I spell it out and completely disrespect lulu in so doing.
    You mentioned Shopify was too costly and so did JN, and so I took the time to go on and on in this forum for those who might want the information. Read and help yourself. And believe that I know what I am talking about.

I did read between the lines as you went on and on.

I saw your inferences that I'm against progress, that because of my apparent color or lack thereof I'm a racist, as well as the fact I apparently don't know what I'm talking about. As the palest of my father's children it's obvious I'm not to be taken seriously.

What's to argue? As I said, do as you wish.
    Maggie said:
    I'm trying to help you and JN, Cameron. Read between the lines instead of trying to win an argument.
    Or shall I spell it out and completely disrespect lulu in so doing.
    You mentioned Shopify was too costly and so did JN, and so I took the time to go on and on in this forum for those who might want the information. Read and help yourself. And believe that I know what I am talking about.

• Ok, you win. Lulu shouldn't do as Streetlib does and increase author sales by 2000% . We shouldn't distribute to China, nor to the Indians. And you are not racist nor xenophobic. Peace out.

But being both mulatto and mestizo I'm too stupid to know how to take care of myself. Thank you for the parting shot.
    Maggie said:
    Ok, you win. Lulu shouldn't do as Streetlib does and increase author sales by 2000% . We shouldn't distribute to China, nor to the Indians. And you are not racist nor xenophobic. Peace out.

Now now children. However, it is a fact that although it's very easy to sign up to international agreements, it does not mean every country will enforce them. China and HK are one of the world's centres for the manufacture of knock-off goods. Some is actually astonishing >

And some of it is very disturbing, but I wont go in to that. 

• Well, Kevin, your response made me feel better. Have a lovely evening. ☺🌷

• NaijasturfNaijasturf Lagos Reader
    What about Chinese in Nigeria? 
  • Think and do different
  • Emma_H_804Emma_H_804 Richmond, VA Reader
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm ready to get started.
    Emma Holman loves exploring Virginia wine country. As a content writer for  http://VaWineMarket.com she guides people through the best Virginia wine trails and helps them shop for Virginia wine. I'm just a gal who loves to travel with my phone through Virginia wine country. If you do too you might like VaWineMarket.com it has the best collection of reviews, ratings, and wine articles about Virginia wine and wineries. You can find wine tasting events on the calendar and a map and directions to Virginia wineries.  Planning a wine tasting trip to Virginia wineries has never been easier now that VaWineMarket.com has guides to all the best wine regions in Virginia. You will easily know where to go on the best wine trails that Virginia has to offer the wine enthusiast.
  • SaraSara Reader
    edited April 30
    I have found these promotional/marketing tips to be great! I can also add that
    WMAP Radio Station offers free 10 minute book promotions to a huge listening audience as long as the author being interviewed is positive and upbeat, in keeping with their inspirational format. You can get more info on their website www.wmapradio.com.
  • nikkihopenikkihope Reader
    Really an amazing Idea it is. I was asking people to promote my uncle's newly published Book about current affairs in America. Thanks for sharing such an amazing idea. I would suggest my uncle with this. 
  • AlexHalesAlexHales Reader
    I want some helping material regarding custom packaging and printing 
    Can you explain that further? Because it is the retailers and printers who select the packaging, but you do have some control over what is printed. Fonts, B&W or colour, etc.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    Maggie said:

Very Nice!