We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

List of PDF Converters, Viewers, Editors

PDF Creators

NameType and licenseDescription
Bullzip PDF Printer Freeware Virtual printer, requires Ghostscript and PDFPowerTool.
CC PDF Converter GPL Creates a PDF with embedded Creative Commons license from any software.
CutePDF Freeware and professional versions Virtual printer, also with proprietary PDF editor. Attempts to install the Ask Toolbar as well as Hotspot shield. Can be avoided by using the /no3d command-line switch.
deskPDF Standalone Available for both client and terminal servers.
doPDF Freeware standalone Virtual printer. It doesn't use Ghostscript.
eCopy PaperWorks Proprietary  
Foxit PhantomPDF Commercial  
gDoc Creator Shareware Enterprise-level creator to create, review, edit, share or archive PDF and XPS documents. After 30 days shareware version places a watermark on documents.
HelpNDoc Freeware and professional versions Manual and documentation authoring tool with native PDF export. Free for personal use.
NovaPDF Commercial Virtual printer.
PagePlus Proprietary Desktop publishing suite with PDF viewing, editing and creation features
PaperPort Proprietary Desktop publishing suite with PDF viewing, editing and creation features
PDFCreator GPL, FairPlay Virtual printer, for Windows licenced under GPL. Uses Ghostscript and includes adware.
PDF-XChange Free lite version PDF Tools allows creation of PDFs from many types of source input (images, scans, etc.). The PDF-XChange print driver allows printing directly to a PDF. A "lite" version of the print driver is free for non-commercial (home and academic) use.
PrimoPDF Freeware standalone Virtual printer, for Microsoft .NET Framework and uses Ghostscript and RedMon. Connects with www.primopdf.com. Includes Open Candy adware.
Print2PDF and Prin2PDF Free Proprietary or freeware PDF converter
SaveasPDFandXPS Freeware Add-in for Microsoft Office 2007
Solid PDF Creator Proprietary  
Xara Photo & Graphic Designer Proprietary Graphic design software with PDF creation plus import, viewing and limited editing

Development libraries

• HTML2PDF-X: Proprietary software library for PDF creation from HTML input.

PDF Editors

• Adobe Acrobat: Adobe Systems's proprietary desktop PDF authoring suite.
  • Adobe Photoshop: Adobe Systems's Graphic Design software and image editor.
  • gDoc Fusion: proprietary/shareware desktop product to create, review, edit, share or archive PDF and XPS documents. After 30 days a watermark is placed on documents in shareware version.
  • Infix PDF Editor: a proprietary PDF editor with word processor features
  • Nitro PDF: a proprietary WYSIWYG editor with interface styled after Microsoft Office
  • PDF Studio: Proprietary software for viewing and editing PDF documents
  • pdftk: free (GPL) command-line tools to manipulate, edit and convert documents; supports filling of PDF forms with FDF/XFDF data
  • PDFSaM: free (GPLv2) command-line and GUI tools to manipulate, split, merge, encrypt and decrypt PDF files
  • PDFedit: free and open source software for viewing and editing PDF documents
  • PDF-XChange Viewer: Freeware PDF reader, tagger, editor (simple editions) and converter (free for non commercial uses).
  • Microsoft Word 2013: Proprietary desktop software. The 2013 edition of Office allows editing PDF files.

PDF Viewers

• Adobe Reader: Adobe's freeware PDF reader.
  • Evince: a free (GPL), open source PDF reader. Part of the GNOME desktop environment. Windows port available since version 2.28.
  • Foxit Reader: Proprietary/freeware PDF reader, supports FDF import/export, saving filled forms; other extended functionality available via purchasable plugins.
  • gDoc Fusion: Proprietary/shareware to view PDF, XPS, Microsoft Word document, Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, Microsoft PowerPoint presentation or image files, included in the evaluation version of the product. Shareware version places a watermark on documents after 30 day eval.
  • GSview: Open source software and Ghostscript's viewer for Windows
  • Nitro PDF Reader: Shareware PDF reader, proprietary PDF reader and creator. Supports PDF creation, saving filled forms (AcroForms), text typewriter, markup/collaboration, and stamp signature. Free trial runs 14 days.
  • Nuance PDF Reader: Freeware(adware) PDF reader, supports saving filled forms, partial support for XFA forms; enables the capability to convert PDF files to MS Word or Excel files through Nuance website.
  • PDF-XChange Viewer: Freeware viewer with free OCR, supports FDF/XFDF import/export, saving filled forms, extended markup and export to image capabilities.
  • Qiqqa: Freeware PDF reader, indexer, tagger and annotator. Supports OCR and export of PDF text and images.
  • Sumatra PDF: A free (GPL), open source PDF reader. It also supports DjVu, XPS, CHM, Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) and eBook (EPUB & MOBI) file formats. Supports automatic reloading of PDF files.
  • STDU Viewer: A freeware for non-commercial usage PDF reader. It also supports DjVu, Comic Book Archive (CBR or CBZ), XPS, TIFF, TXT and image file formats.

Mobile

Web-based

Converters

• Cometdocs: Online PDF conversion
  • Software602 Print2PDF 9.0: interactive web conversion from IIS or XML-SOAP web service
  • Zamzar: Online file converter
  • htm2pdf: online HTML to PDF conversion

Editors

• PDFescape: a free web service to view, create forms, fill out forms, and edit PDF documents from a web browser (requires JavaScript to be enabled)
  • PDFVue: a free web application that allows the user to view PDF's, comment and fill PDF forms from a web browser. Generates a watermark.

Viewers

• A.nnotate: a web service which views PDF documents as HTML in the browser, with annotation features.
  • DigiSigner: free online PDF viewer java applet with additional function to digitally sign PDF documents.
  • Docstoc: a web service which allows viewing PDF documents online
  • Issuu: a web service which allows viewing PDF documents online
  • Google Docs: a web service which views PDF documents as PNG images in the browser
  • Pdf.js: A Javascript-based library, with viewer, and browser plugin.

Courtesy of wikipedia.com

A citizen of the world.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Nice. Have you also put that on your site?

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• thank you for sharing all the good stuff about pdf , i am specially a big fan of pdf converters vb.net. it is able to convert to many image formats or word. pretty powerful.

• Thank you for sharing! I was doing a PDF conversion project and for that I was looking for related new tools. Some of the points are very useful. Do share some more material if you have.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The above is just an advert ...

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Amazing list, congratulations

A couple of others I have been using:

PDF Chain can merge, rotate and do a few other things to pdf files. It is a bit limited but has a good user interface.

Inkscape is a vector graphics tool which can import, convert and export pdf pages. I just used it recently to strip out the "history" of pdf pages I had rotated from landscape to portrait, so that Lulu's uploader would accept them. pdfs carry their version history around with them, and Lulu's uploader may think that the original properties (such as the wrong page size) are still current and refuse a perfectly good file. Using Inkscape I was able to: import, convert to svg which loses the history, convert back to pdf, upload).

• Hi, Thomaswilson.

I wonder have you ever tried to build your own pdf viewer with the help of some manual tools which can be customized by users according to our own favors to help read PDF files. I am testing with the related projects these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Arron

• I use NITRO which can do conversions to several different formats.
    ! I don't see it listed here..
    Regards,
    Dave Boyce
  • Kernel for PDF to Word is one of the popular and advance pdf to doc converter software. You can visit software detail http://www.pdftodoctool.com/
  • I'm surprised I don't see PDF Factory, or PDF Factory Pro, which are Windows printer drivers I have used successfully to make camera ready files for the Espresso Book Machine.  I think the company is FinePrint, and there is a print driver by that name, too, which gives more control over printing.  

• arronlee wrote:

Hi, Thomaswilson.

I wonder have you ever tried to build your own pdf viewer with the help of some manual tools which can be customized by users according to our own favors to help read PDF files. I am testing with the related projects these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Arron

HI there

That exactly what i want to do.I am testing with the pdf viewer which which can be customized by users according to our own favors to help read pdf files directly.I want to know that if there is a detailed tutorial for this process.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• What ever pdf converter viewers, editors, go to pdf converter for mac  get it , find more on pdf to flash converter

• Useful list - thanks for posting! I've used PrimoPDF quite a bit and find it easy to use and it works with pretty much any program that can print. I was not aware, however, that the new version now comes with adware. (Apparently the version I have is the one before they included the adware.) That's an "update" I can do without and good to know.

• Thank you  for collecting a list. I have found Zamzar very good for conversion word to PDF and back

• HOW ARE U DOING WHAT SIZE DO THE PDF IN TO BE FOR LULU