Problems With Paragraph Indentation in Epub File

oncewasoncewas Librarian

I am having a problem with the indentation for the start of each new paragraph disappearing once my source document has been converted to an ePub file. I am not doing anything differently from what I normally do. I created a paragraph style in the source (Word) docuemnt and the paragraphs are correctly indented in Word but when I used the lulu wizard to convert this to an ePub file the indentations no longer exist.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I think I may have answered my own question. I didn't use a paragraph style for the Copyright Notice (although I never have done in the past and the ePub formatting was as I expected it with each new paragraph indented) and had used the 'No Spacing' option as I didn't want this section to be indented.

I changed the Coptright Notice section to the Normal paragraph style and the ePub came out correctly.

In future I will create a Copyright Notice paragraph style to display this section without indentation.

You learn something new every day!

• Yes, every part of the document should have clearly defined paragraph styles.
  • I am having the same problem, and I have gone though page after page to see if I could find a paragraph which has not been formatted. But in vain. Is there a way to SEARCH for unformatted text bites? Or what can I do?
    Formatting the whole text again from scratch is not an option. (230 pages with hundreds of italics, etc.)
    Any advice will be VERY welcome. Have spent many hours on this problem by now.

• Just ensure that each paragraph has a properly formatted paragraph style.

Don't rely on having just bashed in some text without preformatting some paragraph styles first.
  • Hi Ken, thanks for a prompt reply!
    I've understood that what could cause the problem might be that somewhere in these 230 pages there might be a bit of text which has no formatting. I am using formatted styles, in general, and everything else comes out as it should. The only problem are these first line indentations which should not be there.
    And my question therefore was: How do I find that needle in the haystack. Will I have to run through each and every paragraph on 230 pages to check them whether they are formatted or not? I was hoping there would be some kind of a search function, or a way to identify the area/paragraph which causes the problem.

• But a paragraph style applies to the paragraph. It's not as though a few words of text in a paragraph could cause a problem.

But yes of course you do need to check each paragraph, that should only takes a few seconds, place your cursor on the start of a paragraph and scroll down looking at the Style window.

You can of course use Find and Replace if you are confident in Word. Of course in Adobe InDesign there is a script to do just that.

• Hm... While I was waiting to hear from you again, I decided to say "Choose All" and then I formatted the entire text of 230 pages to "Normal" (which I found out DIDN'T remove the italics, luckily), and then I started from scratch with formatting all headlines, subtitles, etc. - but that didn't help.

Then I followed your advise concerning a bug in the system in a previous post, to write "0,01 cm" in the indentation field, instead of "0 cm", and that didn't help either.

Then I tried to write "0,01 cm" in the "by"-field (after 'First line') in all paragraph-formats, and THAT worked. Finally. I must have spent 3-4 hours on this, uploading 13 times.

How ridiculous that Lulu's staff can't bother to write about this bug in the Guidelines. Not okay.
    Thank you, Ken, for being there, and for your advice which kept me at it. Otherwise I would have given up earlier on.

• Nobody said life should be easy!

.........and wouldn't life be boring if it was?

Anyway well done for your perseverence.

I suppose I should have been more specific and said "first line indent". It's one thing knowing it and another saying it so others understand it without further clarification.
  • Since this thread comes up near the top of the Google search for this problem, I thought I'd post the solution to my recent run-in with this issue.

My first lines were not indenting and nothing I did seemed to fix it.

The solution for me turned out to be that my indented text was styled as 'normal' (which I'd modified). I created a new style, 'body text', from a selection of 'normal', and then selected all instances of 'normal' and reassigned them to my new style. This, finally, resolved the problem.

Bottom line, don't use 'normal' as your body text if you want to indent - or at least that's my experience.

BTW this was a Word 2013 docx file.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

TomMelly wrote:

Since this thread comes up near the top of the Google search for this problem, I thought I'd post the solution to my recent run-in with this issue.

Yes it's been noticed that people use Google and end up randomly in a Lulu forum's old threads. Myself I use Lulu's own Search  Smiley Happy

My first lines were not indenting and nothing I did seemed to fix it.

The solution for me turned out to be that my indented text was styled as 'normal' (which I'd modified). I created a new style, 'body text', from a selection of 'normal', and then selected all instances of 'normal' and reassigned them to my new style. This, finally, resolved the problem.

I use Normal for my Bodytext.

Bottom line, don't use 'normal' as your body text if you want to indent - or at least that's my experience.

Simply use Normal's defaults to set paragraphs (etc etc) to have them laid out just as one wants them. Every Style has the same individual defaults that can be set up.