We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

When do I get the ISBN for cover and copyright page?

I want to buy a sample copy to preview the front/back cover and do the final proofreading of the interior.  So just now I uploaded the contents and one-piece cover, with the ISBN areas blank.  I got all the way to the end and purchased a copy.  But at no point did I see how I get an ISBN.  Obviously I'll need to put the ISBN in the copyright page and on the back cover before I do the final run and make it available for purchase.  So at what point do I get the ISBN so I can do this and upload the cover and contents again?  I did carefully read the "How to get an ISBN" blurb here, but I did not find the answer there.  And am I correct in assuming that LuLu will just paste the ISBN on the back cover, so I don't have to do it in my graphics program?  Thanks!

Tim

Comments

• Lulu will place the isbn on the back cover for you but you need to make sure that you clicked make public at the beginning of your choices for paper size etc and after you have chosen your paper and size and pressed next lulu will automatically generate an isbn for you if you have chosen the option for a lulu isbn. If you are unsure just go back to the first options step that you used in creating your document and you will soon find out for sure. I hope this helps Smiley Happy

• Lulu will NOT add an ISBN barcode to a one piece cover.

It must be added in the creation of the artwork for the cover.
  • right-o Ken, as always.

A word of note here, though. If you are using the lulu cover wizard, the ISBN barcode is automattically added, so you need to make sure your artwork does not have anything important in that location at the bottom of the back cover.

But, like Ken says, you put the barcode in the artwork yourself if using the one-piece cover. This is a better option as you control where everything goes.

• Thanks for that vital info! But now I wonder how I get the ISBN bar code. When they assign me an ISBN, will they also make available a little barcode image that I download and insert into my cover graphic?

Also, I guess I'm not clear on the order of things. It seems to be this, although this does not sound quite perfect:

1) After my proofreading of the copy I just ordered is correct, I go back to the project and select "Make Public"

2) LuLu assigns me an ISBN and (hopefully) bar code image for back cover

3) I edit the copyright page to insert the ISBN. I also edit the one-piece cover to insert the ISBN and barcode. Then I re-upload both.

4) I complete the process and buy a 'final' proof copy.

Do I have this right? Thanks for all your help!

Tim
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Thanks for that vital info!  But now I wonder how I get the ISBN bar code.  When they assign me an ISBN, will they also make available a little barcode image that I download and insert into my cover graphic?

There is the option to download the barcode offered in the Wizard. It's on the ISBN 'page', but using just the ISBN number you can also generate the barcode at many sites on line, Search for them.

Also, I guess I'm not clear on the order of things.  It seems to be this, although this does not sound quite perfect:

1) After my proofreading of the copy I just ordered is correct, I go back to the project and select "Make Public"

Yes.

2) LuLu assigns me an ISBN and (hopefully) bar code image for back cover

Yes, and even adds it to the cover if you use the 'normal' Cover Wizard and you will see it there on the back cover.

3) I edit the copyright page to insert the ISBN.

Yes, and then upload it again, but delete the older file there also.

I also edit the one-piece cover to insert the ISBN and barcode.  Then I re-upload both.

Indeed  Smiley Happy

4) I complete the process and buy a 'final' proof copy.

Yes, that's the only way to Approve (via Revise) the book to get it heading towards Amazon. Approve does appear, though, even if you have not as yet seen the Proof and some take the risk of Approving ASAP to save a bit of time.

• Thank you! It's great that wonderful people like you hang out here to help newbies. The bottom line of my difficulty was that I did not want to check 'Make Public' right up front before doing my final proofreading. I did not want a version with errors going on sale! Nowhere did I see a statement that it will not actually go public until the author gives final approval. I wish LuLu would change that option to something more like 'Make Public after final approval' or whatever. That would have saved this whole discussion. I assumed that when you check 'Make Public' the book you are about to upload goes public, and that somewhere in the upload process an ISBN would be assigned. Darn. I printed hard copies of dozens of pages of LuLu documentation and studied them all before I even started, yet this basic issue was never addressed. Anyhow, thanks to you all, I believe I've got it now. I've ordered a proof copy without ISBN and will take it from here.
    Tim
  • You can also do a google search for a barcode generator and plug in your ISBN. I have started adding QR codes to the back of my print books that goes right to my website. (Been thinking of maiking a huge QR code sticker for the back of my truck, but I haven't acted on that yet...)Smiley LOL

Thank you!  It's great that wonderful people like you hang out here to help newbies.

Thank you, we do our best.

The bottom line of my difficulty was that I did not want to check 'Make Public' right up front before doing my final proofreading.  I did not want a version with errors going on sale! 

You have just made me very happy  Smiley Happy

Nowhere did I see a statement that it will not actually go public until the author gives final approval.

I do believe they still go on to the Spotlights, Approved or not, but I cannot remember!

I wish LuLu would change that option to something more like 'Make Public after final approval' or whatever.  That would have saved this whole discussion.

Not everyone wants an ISBN or publishes the type of book that can have one, and I assume Lulu thinks it's clear what the 3 options mean. They do have short descriptions.

I assumed that when you check 'Make Public' the book you are about to upload goes public,

No, that's the option that makes the ISBN option active in the Wizards, as you now know. One of the others is Private which means only you can view your Spotlight, and the other, Direct, means only those you give the addy to can.

and that somewhere in the upload process an ISBN would be assigned.  Darn.  I printed hard copies of dozens of pages of LuLu documentation and studied them all before I even started, yet this basic issue was never addressed.

Oh, I spent months reading the site, moaning at Live Help and hassling people in the Forums, before and during publishing my first book here. In fact I also started to use Lulu because they once did POD art too. The Help pages are much better now, believe me.

Anyhow, thanks to you all, I believe I've got it now.  I've ordered a proof copy without ISBN and will take it from here.

Well, keep us up to date   Smiley Happy

• byako wrote:

You can also do a google search for a barcode generator and plug in your ISBN. I have started adding QR codes to the back of my print books that goes right to my website. (Been thinking of maiking a huge QR code sticker for the back of my truck, but I haven't acted on that yet...)Smiley LOL

I have published some story books for kids and I have already bought the ISBN numbers for the same. But I am confused on how to get those ISBN numbers as barcodes on covers of books. What is the cheapest way to do this? Please advise.

This is a very old thread ...

Enter it in at the start of the Project Wizard and the Cover Wizard will place it on the back cover for you.

http://www.lulu.com/learn