Helix

"Helix Review

Lulu, in partnership with the Book Genome Project, is excited to offer a new service – The Helix Review.

The Helix Review provides a detailed analysis of your submitted manuscript by comparing it with over 100,000 titles contained within The Book Genome Project as well as making specific comparisons to titles in your chosen genre.

For the last several weeks, this service was only available through direct marketing. With this release, Helix Reviews are now available to all authors with qualifying projects (English, >10000 words, in specific genres)."

But to what purpose? What is it comparing? This is the place >>    http://bookgenome.com/

The description given sounds like the first stages of research in to software that will 'write' a book, possibly a 'generic' book as dreamt up by book marketing experts, so of what use is to us human writers?

Comments

• I knew they were going to do this. 

They've already written a few books with computers.  I'm not going to get into that.

They won't be able to get rid of all of the human writers because a lot of us read and write.  This means that we are absorbing literature for the sole purpose of creating our own.  If they dispose of humans, they will find they will lose a bunch of us.  Plus, some people will probably still want a handwritten book.

Now they will do anything to prevent people from rising.  I don't know why they don't merely copyright every word in the English language.

This is actually the subject of my next book.  I will begin it tomorrow. 

• Reminds me of Pandora internet radio. "The Music Genome Project" If you havent used it, it plays music based on what you have already listened to, and plays what it thinks you may want to hear. I have a Yanni  station I started a year ago. It no longer plays Yanni--it has since transitioned to yoga as well as nature sounds set to music.

Imagine what a computer would write. Smiley LOL

Rebecca,

That sounds like quite a story! I'd be interesting in reading that.

• Hello Kevin

Have a look at the Helix Review page for additional information.

The Book Genome Project includes over 100,000 classic and contemporary books in multiple genres. The Project was originally conceived as a tool for large publishing houses to parse and analyse books as a means to accurately identify genres to better target marketing for the intended audience. Additionally, much like movie studios, a publishing house would not want to release similar books at the same time - while other publishing houses may want to cash in on a Vampire / Zombie / Wizard trend and push up the release of a similarly themed book they have in their backlog.

For Lulu authors, the Helix Review is just another tool to help them compare their work with other published authors in all genres, as well as their particular genre, to learn how their writing style compares with traditionally published authors.

There is nothing in the service about machines writing books. The machines only analyse and compare. Use of the service is completely voluntary, so there is no need to fear the rise of the machines - yet..... Smiley Very Happy

• Hrmm. Glenn, it sounds exactly as I described then, after already looking at the site.  Smiley Happy

I am still not sure what purpose it would serve a writer.

And the details it collects and compares could indeed be used to create a 'writing machine' . Robot LOL

• But, your book does not become part of the Book Genome Project and would therefore not contribute to the take over by the machines.

This is just another tool for self-publishing authors that can be used to improve their writing and provide an objective comparison to authors and published books within the author's genre. It's all described pretty thoroughly on the Helix Review pages.
  • But how a book 'is', becomes part of the stats it gathers and those stats could be used to write the 'perfect' book.

From what I can see the main part of it could be used to look for plagiarism. LOL.

• I don't believe that is the creator's intent, but you are right it could be another use for this tool.

You never know until you give it a try.

Cheers!

• You never know until you give it a try.

Do you mean suck it and see?  Smiley Happy

Yes I may do out of pure nosiness.

• My impression is that Helix is geared to analyze novels, not didactic books. For novelists, it is certainly a useful tool to determine where their book stands in the galaxy it belongs to. 

• @ Kevin - well, yes. That term did come to mind.

After all, if you use a word or term 10 times, it is yours for life. Smiley Very Happy

• Does the Helix Review even still exist? If not are there comparable services anyone has used? I thought it was pretty neat when I used it five years ago...2013.