Background color missing in cover photo

I created a three-layer cover for a book. The lowest layer was the cover color and the next layer up was a photograph and text. The photograph had been converted into a shape in Photoshop by outlining it with the lasso tool and then creating a new layer via cut. Thus, all that was left was the image without the background.

The image, btw, was of a cat and the title of the book wrapped along the spine of the cat. All looked fine in InDesign and the subsequent PDF, but when the book arrived, the graphic box that was the cat had a white background rather than the color on the rest of the cover. Here's the PDF I uploaded. Thank you.cats cover.jpg

Comments

• Flatten it.
  • Just for clarification, you mean flatten the photo before importing???

• Yes, or  you can use Adobe Bridge.

Locate your file in Bridge. Then in Bridge, go to the OUTPUT menu (There should be "Essentials Filmstrip MetaData Output) in the top of the Bridge menu.

When you go to Output there is the option to make a PDF. Go through the settings carefully and make the choices that suit you.

When done, click save and choose your save location.

You will get a fully rasterised PDF with everything Flattened.

• Thank you.

• Hi Ken,

I saw that you know about background images. Thanks for helping. I tried to use a Lulu cover image and accepted it; 3 times I tried and the image did not appear. The cover was white with title only. 

I saw that Safari issued a message box with a problem icon afterwards. I am using imac Retina (new computer), and I wondered if Safari was the problem? 

Any ideas?

Marie 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

This thread is 3 years old, and Ken is no longer here.

I saw that you know about background images. Thanks for helping. I tried to use a Lulu cover image and accepted it; 3 times I tried and the image did not appear.

Tried what three times if the Cover Wizard took it? Ken was meaning images created on your PC then uploaded though.

The cover was white with title only.

You mean that's what you were seeing, but it should not look like that?

BTW. Do you mean for a print book or for an ePub?

I saw that Safari issued a message box with a problem icon afterwards. I am using imac Retina (new computer), and I wondered if Safari was the problem? 

Do you mean while within the Cover Wizard? That often means there's a problem with your image. Too small. Too big. Wrong file type. Too low a resolution. Any one or all of those. But you say the Wizard "accepted' it. Perhaps it means a Mac does not have the right software. Flash and stuff like that. I am no Mac expert.

The Cover Wizard (and the main Wizard) creates Print ready PDFs and that is what you can preview at the end of each Wizard section. You need Adobe's PDF reader to view them.