Making available to public - which package?

Hello. I have uploaded my book onto LuLu. I have set the revenue price (retail price) as suggested. At the moment I am only on private access for purchase. I want to be available on amazon uk, amazon.com etc so that my book is available for purchase from buyers around Europe, US etc. I have already bought a copy for my self to proof through the private access (so that I am happy with what is to be going to the public). The next stage confuses me - Do I just change the access details to General on my revision page? & if I do this, will this give me the service I want? I saw different reach programmes - some free, some costing - or do I purchase a package? LuLu gave me an ISBN on completion, which shows up on the back cover of my book, but I see details re ISBN's needing to be inside front pages etc. How does this happen? Do LuLu request me to send them a proof for approval before going live on Amazoon etc.? I am quite confused 

Smiley Sad

Comments

• The fact that you have a barcode on the back cover does not mean that Lulu has given you an ISBN. That barcode is merely a Lulu ID.

You do need to make the project General Access.

But more importantly you need to revise the project and take the option to sell through Online Bookstores such as Amazon.
    Having done that you will be given the option to get a free Lulu ISBN.

Your book must be of a size and use the correct type of paper for it to be eligible for distribution. See http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/What-Products-are-Eligible-for-Retail-Distribution/ta-p/33150

You may find it easier to leave the existing project as it is and create a new one. 

• Thank you Ken. I've read through as much info as I can on the distribution section & I presume the process is exactly the same as when I made the book available for private access - with the addition of extendreach & global reach. I notice that it states an ISBN will be allocated & I must insert this into the copyright page - I presume I would then amend my pdf file to incorporate this? I have checked eligble for distribution & both sizes are available under this section. I shall now go ahead and re start the project from new (creating a new ID) & hopefully the correct formatting for other sales outside LuLu. I notice it states a clean page is required at the very end of the interior of the book (no page numbers) is this correct?  Lets hope it is all smooth running from here .. lol... Smiley Embarassed

On another note. I wrongly ordered some copies off my private access account for the book this morning, but by the time I had gone back in to cancel - the debit had been deducted from my debit account. I cancelled the order before printing & also have a print out confirming the cancellation. Will LuLu just then refund the payment I made back to my card within the 3- 5 days specified or do I need to get in touch direct with them? 

Thanks for you help

• EJowsey wrote:

. I notice that it states an ISBN will be allocated & I must insert this into the copyright page - I presume I would then amend my pdf file to incorporate this?

Yes. Put it on the copyright page. Use a commercially published book as a template of how to do it.

. I notice it states a clean page is required at the very end of the interior of the book (no page numbers) is this correct? 

Your book should have a page count divisible by 4 and the last page is totally blank - no page number. But if you don't know how to do this (you should because the titlepage, copyright page etc up to the start of the book should also not have page numbers) then have a page count not divisible by 4 and the printer will add blank pages to the end.

On another note. I wrongly ordered some copies off my private access account for the book this morning, but by the time I had gone back in to cancel - the debit had been deducted from my debit account. I cancelled the order before printing & also have a print out confirming the cancellation. Will LuLu just then refund the payment I made back to my card within the 3- 5 days specified or do I need to get in touch direct with them? 

Suggest you wait and check your statements and only contact support if therefund doesn't come through.

• Thank you ever so much. I think I might have the hang of it now (hopes lol).

Quick question, page numbers - do you have to have page numbers on the bottom or can you leave them blank (providing you are within the correct page request for the book size) ?
  •  

Its not normal to have any page numbers untill the start of the books content. Then they start with the actula page number, e.g. if there are 8 un-numbered pages at the front you start numbering page 9 as '9'. You can place the numbers at top bottom or side, your choice.

• You don't have to have any page numbers at all if your don't want them.

• Ken, I am very non-tekky, and nervous. But I have produced a book I am happy with, as is, on private access, and am trying to learn how to make it available to the public.I have a website I would link it on, which would link back to lulu so people could order from you.

Am I right in understanding that I take the existing file, click Revise, and it will then walk me through changing the access, and giving me an ISBN number? I understand I have to, in revising it, accommodate the copyright page and the blank page at the end........but will it otherwise leave the book and cover as it is now? 

If I start a new file, I worry it will not have the same  cover, as I have little idea how the cover resulted. No clue, it was a happy accident.

Thanks for any help you can give.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Ken,

Look at the dates on the postings. Ken is no longer with us.

I am very non-tekky, and nervous. But I have produced a book I am happy with, as is, on private access, and am trying to learn how to make it available to the public.

Do the pages of your book look like any other commercial book? If so then order a Proof as a final check.

I have a website I would link it on, which would link back to lulu so people could order from you.

From Ken?  However, with an ISBN people will be able to buy from almost every on-line book shop in the world. Amazon for example. That's where my site aims people to. A site that everyone has heard of.

Am I right in understanding that I take the existing file, click Revise, and it will then walk me through changing the access,

Yes.

and giving me an ISBN number?

Yes.

I understand I have to, in revising it, accommodate the copyright page and the blank page at the end

You have to revise the original file of pages on your PC, there's no text tool in the Wizard.

First is a Title Page and then the Copyright Page with the ISBN number on. (I have never seen one at the back.)

Delete the older file and upload the new one.

Blank pages often only apply to hardbacks, but I still put two blanks at each end, but the rule that page count has to be divisible by four often gives no option but to include blanks at the end.

........but will it otherwise leave the book and cover as it is now?

Will what? 

If I start a new file, I worry it will not have the same  cover, as I have little idea how the cover resulted. No clue, it was a happy accident.

Revising an existing Project will only revise what you make it revise. I would suggest you pay far more attention to the cover. Covers are very important.

Once you are happy with the PR PDF/s, order a Proof, check that over, then if all is OK, Approve it (to set Dist in motion.)