EPUB3 CSS3 - Statement required by Lulu

Apple accept EPUBs in EPUB3 format with CSS3.
Can we please have a definitive statement from Lulu whether or not their EPUB QA team will accept such EPUBs?
If not then why and when?
Also what formats will Lulu QA not accept and why?

Comments

• That sounds like a Suggestion to me Ken. Stick it in there.

But do you know how to get a reply from Lulu Staff? 'Report Inappropriate Content'.

:-)
  • No, it's an open question to Lulu.
    Please can I have an answer?
  • Who are you expecting to answer you? Even the new forum 'mods' rarely reply to anything now.
  • Apple accept EPUBs in EPUB3 format with CSS3.

Can we please have a definitive statement from Lulu whether or not their EPUB QA team will accept such EPUBs?

If not then why and when?

Also what formats will Lulu QA not accept and why?
  • Hi Ken,

I ran your question by the engineering department, their response is posted below:

"Lulu currently uses EpubCheck 1.2. and this only supports EPUB2.

EpubCheck 3.0 (which supports EPUB3) is in Beta 4 and is being recommended for validation.

http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

Use of this validation tool is under investigation. If the investigation and testing is successful
    we will schedule the work and upgrade. Thanks for your patience."

Kind Regards,

David K & the Lulu site engineers

• Following up on this to see if Lulu accepts EPUB3 now. Please advise. Thanks!
  • No.
    And highly unlikely this year.
  • Now we are in may 2014, Are we still waiting for EPUB3 ?

thx

J.

• Any word on this? It's 2015 and EPUB3 is still causing errors.

• Boy you aren't kidding! Created a fixed layout epub in Adobe inDesign and lulu gave me a stack of errors like I've never seen. I think I'll pull my books from lulu and go another route.

• Lulu deployed EPUB validation v3.0.1 in November 2013.

Of course there is a difference between the validation version and EPUB3 formatted eBooks. Unfortunately, eBooks created in EPUB3 format are not yet widely accepted by online retailers. Even though there are limited retail options for EPUB3 books, we are looking at what is required to create, review, and distribute eBooks in this format.

I hope that answer addresses your concerns.