5 x 8 Book size

Here in the UK, most paperback books are 5 x 8. I was wondering why LuLu don't offer this size?

Any takers.

Colin.

Comments

• (Looks at book shelves) no they aren't.
    But yes, Lulu do. Just over by 0.50".
    http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Information/Book-Product-Information/ta-p/82791
  • Gosh,
    I'm seem to remember the same question being asked many years ago when I first started with Lulu.

• I've delayed doing anything via Lulu for exactly this reason. Most 'penguin' (etc.) paperbacks are around  5"x 7.75", or 13x20 cm. This is what I wanted!

But have now settled for the bigger-than-I -wanted 6x9", and redesigning everything around this.

Can anybody tell me why Lulu doesn't do this very standard and historical size?

Jenny

• I have many many  books collected over many many years (some over 150 years old, but I am not) and they come in all shapes and sizes. Perhaps you only think that one size is the 'standard' because that is all you buy? Smiley Happy (I even have some 'A3' ones).

Even the same publication may be published in many shapes and sizes. They often start off as hardback 1st editions at 7" x 9" ish, then get gradually smaller and paperbacked.

The sizes down (A5 and Digest) from 6" x 9" are closer to what you want are they not? No one actually measures books with a micrometer before they buy them anyway!

This is why Lulu cannot do it >>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q946sfGLxm4  those are used so it IS possible to only order one at a time, and as yet they are not very flexible. Try again in 10 years.

In reality, although some publishers of some types of books may stick to a few sizes, they are neither truly 'standard' or 'historical'.

Book Sizes Approximate Size

suR Super Royal 20"x27" suR 4to Super Royal quarto 10"x13½" suR 8vo Super Royal octavo 6¾"x10" R Royal 20"x25" R 4to Royal quarto 10"x12½" R 8vo Royal octavo 6¼"x10" Cr Crown 15"x20"
    Cr Fol Crown Folio 10"x15" Cr 4to Crown quarto 7½"x10" Cr 8vo Crown octavo 5"x7½" Cr 16mo Crown sextodecimo 3¾"x5" M Medium 18"x23" M 4to Medium quarto 9"x11½" 8vo (Medium) octavo 5¾"x9" Demy Demy 17½"x22½"
    Demy 4to Demy quarto 8¾"x11¼" Demy 8vo Demy octavo 8¾"x5 5/8" sq 4to square quarto 10"x10"

• Thanks Kevin. As said, I'm now going with 6x9. I wasn't offered crown octavo in the range of sizes for a perfect bound book, and didn't want the A5. However I will think about the 5.5x8.5 size.

A bit of googling brought up tables of UK standard book sizes including 'Trade' paperback B format at approx 8x5 (approximating to the older Crown octavo or Large crown octavo). I tend to associate 6X9 with academic books (including two of my own) and 5x8-ish with the kind of thing I'm currently writing and with quite a lot of fiction. The first edition which was printed the old-fashioned way was 5x8. As you point out, these sizes are very approximate. I'm still puzzled about this though.

Jenny

• Beware - 5.5x8.5 uses publisher grade paper
    6x9 seems to use a yellowish paper
    Crown Quarto 7.44 x 9.68 in uses a nice white paper.

• Thanks Ken - I've also seen that the 8.5x5.5 is only printed in the US, so it's out for me!  So 9x6 it has to be.

Jenny

• Unless you go for pocket size which is *very* close the the standard bulk novel size. I want my customers to be able to carry my books in their pockets.

• Hmm. A little small, given that I've got illustrations, but something to think about. Pocket size seems to be UK size 'A'. I'll reflect on it.

However I don't think there's a way to change the size once I've defined the book and assigned isbn (but not yet uploaded files) - advice please?

• That's right you can't.
    Why spoil the ship for a Haworth of tar especially if it a free ISBN.
    Just cancel the project and start afresh with a new ISBN.
    Why not knock up a quick project(s) without ISBN get a test copy. It would be free just pay the shipping. Then you can confirm the page size or not.

Skinning cats.......
  • It's my own isbn, not Lulu's. If I 'delete' can I not use the same isbn to define another project?

• I don't know.

If you haven't completed the publishing wizard try revising and changing the book size.

If it won't let you then contact Support and ask them to cancel the project and re-assign the ISBN.
    Unlike ExtendedReach I don't believe the ISBN is locked in GlobalReach until much later.

• If your book is already published with an ISBN then that ISBN is not transferable even from a 'dead' book.
    But there is no reason you cannot create the book in many sizes with an ISBN for each seeing as Lulu's are free and do include distribution.
    It's not a huge hassle to reformat pages to different sizes. In fact Word can do that for you (just check the results though!)
  • I checked the 'revise' but it doesn't give an option to change size... however on reading around the site I remembered there were other reasons for going with 6x9 for this one. So the question became academic. But it's an interesting one to pursue I think  - the question of what can be changed from the definitions before anything is uploaded or formatted. Maybe it's something needing a FAQ?

• I checked the 'revise' but it doesn't give an option to change size...

You would have to create a new Project for a new size. You could delete a previous one, but there is no harm in offereing buyers a choice.

however on reading around the site I remembered there were other reasons for going with 6x9 for this one. So the question became academic. But it's an interesting one to pursue I think  - the question of what can be changed from the definitions before anything is uploaded or formatted. Maybe it's something needing a FAQ?

Well, if your book/s have ISBNs then there is very little you can change without it becoming 'another' book and needing another ISBN. You can get away with changing the odd typo though.

But if you are creating a new Project than you can upload whatever you wish as long as the page size/shape and cover images 'fit' the shape/size of the book and that the min-max page count will allow it. You 'just' have to redo your original files on your PC to match, before you upload them.

• That's the same point I am at now. I have my manuscript ready to upload but Lulu isn't offering 5x8. Kinda had my mind set on that size as I got used to that size from the reading collection I have at home; bought in UK bookshops. Wouldn't mind seeing that size in the options.
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Try the Digest size.

As well, try putting your size preference in as a suggestion under "Suggestions" as these older threads don't get the attention of new posts.

TC25 wrote:
    That's the same point I am at now. I have my manuscript ready to upload but Lulu isn't offering 5x8. Kinda had my mind set on that size as I got used to that size from the reading collection I have at home; bought in UK bookshops. Wouldn't mind seeing that size in the options.