Question about Second Editions

Suppose you have a book with lulu isbn and global distribution, and then you want to publish a second edition.  Would you start a new project, or revise the existing project?  If you revise the existing project, you would get a new isbn number, right?  And then would you purchase another global distribution?  Once you initiate the new revision, would the existing edition no longer be available for purchase?

Comments

• It depends to some degree on the extent of the revision.
    You could just revise the existing project, buy a proof and revise it. It would then eventually replace the original copy.
    If you decide to make a second edition then create a new project - new ISBN, proofs, approval, wait......
    You would have to delete the old project when the new one is an running but it could take an age for it to disappear.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Suppose you have a book with lulu isbn and global distribution, and then you want to publish a second edition.  Would you start a new project, or revise the existing project?

It depends on what type of book it is and what the changes are for. If it is something like Artist's & Writer's Yearbook (or is vice versa?) then it will be, say 2010 and 2011 and so on. So you leave both running.

If you revise the existing project, you would get a new isbn number, right?

It depends on how drastic the change is. If it becomes almost 'new', then yes you would.

And then would you purchase another global distribution?

That's up to you. Did you for the 1st edition and did it help you to sell 1000s? If not then get the free one.

Once you initiate the new revision, would the existing edition no longer be available for purchase?

Only if you remove it from your Project List. But it will remain listed even on Amazon as unavailible. Who knows why?! But if it is just a Revision, then no. It's the same Project, revised.

• Hi I wanted to do a fairly minor revision and clicked "revise" under my projects and it wants to start a whole new book. What exactly should I do for just a minor revision?
  • You must be mistaken. It is not a new book. All you have to do is to endorse the format and ISBN of the existing edition before you upload the PDF of the new edition. Conversely, if you change the title, the dimensions, etc., you are creating a new book, that requires a new ISBN.
  • Hi I wanted to do a fairly minor revision and clicked "revise" under my projects and it wants to start a whole new book. What exactly should I do for just a minor revision?

a Project Wizard does not know how large or how small a Revision is, or which bit you are Revising, so you have to go all the way through it.

When you upload the revised manuscript delete the older one or it will combine them.

Just keep clicking all the way forward through the Wizard until it's finished.

If you do have an ISBN then you will have to buy another Proof to update Distribution. That update can take as long as it took to get your book on to Amazon etc., in the first place.